Ride

Why do my doors keep jumping out of the wall?

Question

I draw a wall.  Place a door.  Everything is fine.  I want to adjust the location of the door in the wall, so I grab it by the door frame and drag into position.  Most of the time it jumps out of the wall.  Why?  It doesn't do it all the time, but about 90% of the time.  I used to be able to do this reliably in previous versions....

Thoughts?  Thanks in advance for any replies....

VW 2019 SP2

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6

8 answers to this question

With the Selection tool active, make sure to disable Wall Insertion Mode (Second mode of the Selection tool in the Tool bar). That will prevent you from accidentally pulling any inserted object within a wall and will only allow it to travel along the walls length when you attempt to move it.

• Like 1

Ah, thank you.  This was driving me nuts....

Alternatively, make sure the mouse pointer is within the wall when you drag it. If the pointer is over the wall it will insert/remain inserted. If the mouse pointer is outside of the wall it will end up as a door or window instead of a door or window In Wall.

Especially easy to do if you grad the door swing instead of the frame.

That

5 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Alternatively, make sure the mouse pointer is within the wall when you drag it. If the pointer is over the wall it will insert/remain inserted. If the mouse pointer is outside of the wall it will end up as a door or window instead of a door or window In Wall.

Yes, my pointer was always inside the wall, and locked to vert/horiz but the doors still jumped out.  The ONLY thing that seemed to mitigate the problem a little bit was if the entire door was in view, not just the frame.  Either way, Jim's suggestion seems to have me back on track....

Thanks for the replies.

I agree that this issue did not occur in VW's as of a couple/three versions ago. Now it is fairly persistent (and annoying).

While we're on the subject (sort of), it used to be that if I duplicated (command+d) a door or window the new object would be created up and the the right, and OUTSIDE of the wall. Now the new objects are created in the wall, literally nearly on top of the original. This is frustrating. Is it just me? Is there a setting I am missing?

Check Vectorworks Preferences, Edit Tab, Check the Offset Duplication check box.  With this unchecked, I get window in wall duplicating directly on top. With it checked, the window is still in the wall, but is offset.

Hi Pat, Thanks for that. Yes, but in the past a simple (offset) dupe would be created up and to the right, and not 'in wall'. Now I need to drag the dupe out of the wall then back in to another wall. More clicks/drags = time suck. Oh well...

the other thing I would look for is a wall that has no fill. that makes it hard to find the wall when you drag along the wall.