Not enough space on disk to save file.

Tom Klaber

Question

We are getting weird errors with one folder of VW files.  It is most likely a server problem, but our techs have tried everything, and since it only happens with files from this one project, I thought I would see if there was a possibility a corruption in the files could be causing this.

We will be working, and then get the following errors:

• The disk drive or file is marked read-only.  Please unmark it and try again.
  • Failed to save the file.  Please ensure that the disk containing your local temp folder has sufficient free space.
  • There is not enough space on the disk to save the file.

Where is the local temp folder?

Is there any chance these errors are with VW and not the file server?

Thanks

Edited by Tom Klaber

9 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

To get to the temp folder, To access it from Finder, use Command-G (Shift-Command-G in mavericks and later) and enter /tmpin the dialogue box. However, this is wiped when you reboot so if you suspect the temp folder is the issue, I would just reboot and not go poking the folder manually, that folder is generally not something that most people can make sense of easily.

If after rebooting you still get those errors, but only on certain folders, normally then its a folder permission issue and resetting the permissions completely, or creating a new folder and moving the contents to the new location, is the way around it.

If its VW specific, it normally would happen in EVERY folder on that network volume or alternatively; somewhere in the path name there is a character that Vectorworks stumbles over, which I can confirm if you can paste the full path to that directory here.

@JimWThanks.  Here is the full path: 

afp://192.168.0.2/Active Projects/003_Residential/796_76 Eleventh Avenue/DRAWINGS/B. DD-CD (Duplicate in SD-2D as needed)/B.1 Current/100_Plans/796_I.145-148_Tier 6.vwx

I would be nervous about the parentheses, except that is a firm standard, and other projects do have this issue.  Our best guess is a folder permission issue as well.  How much space should the /tmpin fold need? 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
22 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Points and Blanks are ok for Paths on a Server ?

When I tried years ago with Mac Mini Server, I had even Problems with my Server Name in upper case letters ....

Depends on the filesystem, but with AFP it should be fine. Vectorworks can handle those characters which was what I was more concerned about checking, if they have other project files with those same characters that don't experience issues as they seem to, then I would no longer suspect the characters at all.

On 1/17/2017 at 10:34 AM, Tom Klaber said:

We are getting weird errors with one folder of VW files.  It is most likely a server problem, but our techs have tried everything, and since it only happens with files from this one project, I thought I would see if there was a possibility a corruption in the files could be causing this.

We will be working, and then get the following errors:

• The disk drive or file is marked read-only.  Please unmark it and try again.
  • Failed to save the file.  Please ensure that the disk containing your local temp folder has sufficient free space.
  • There is not enough space on the disk to save the file.

Where is the local temp folder?

Is there any chance these errors are with VW and not the file server?

Thanks

I've been getting these errors on and off since I loaded VW - just happened again.

I'm on windows and have a 256GB SSD drive dedicated to the OS and an 8TB slow drive.

I have 8GB free on the SSD and 6TB free on my Disk

I've asked on other threads but haven't gotten any ideas besides 'clean your drive'...

I can save the file fine if I 'save as'  -   I just can't 'save' or autosave  a backup.

And the second I've 'saved as' everything is fine again for a week or so...

Anyone figure this out yet?