oval window segments

TimG

Question

I know I'm missing something simple (i hope) I can't figure it out for the life of me and hoping someone can help.

Basically I can't get an oval window poi to not show the oval in chunky three line segments... see screen shots of what it looks like chunky, and what it used to look like in more detail when it was smooth.

I have

smooth.png

chunky.png

14 answers to this question

all of the above is set to high or very high. this is happening in the vp as well as design layer. for the VP even if its set to custom rendtrworks or hidden line same results.  I copied a couple the troubled window and the window from the other file that was fine to a new drawing and attached it. As you can see they are both chunky in this new drawing file. Is it a hardware thing maybe... can anyone else open this and verify its chunky or let me know if it looks correct for them.

window_chunks.vwx

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Draw a new window in a new document and change it's configuration to oval. Tell me if that appears the same way.

I see the faceting with your file when I open it in 2016, but not when I open it in 2017. When I open it in 2016 and change the operation to something else like Half Circle, then back to Oval, the faceting also goes away. It does not appear to be anything you have misconfigured, I suspect minor document corruption. You may also be able to resolve it by layer importing your original file into a new blank document:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/790/Layer+Import

changing to to another and shape and then back doesn't work, neither does importing the layer from my chunky window file to a new drawing file... also (and this worries me)  If I create a new blank file (brand new) and place a window in it, and then change that window to oval... same thing. Could their be something wrong with the install maybe... should I try re-installing 2016 (i'm not ready to make the leap with my firm into 2017 yet, although I may try it on a test machine just to see if it fixes the issue for me that way.

This is sort of interesting. When I open Tim's file in VW2017 the oval window appears as it should. When I open the file in VW2016 its exactly as in Tim's images. Tried these things in VW2016-

- ungrouping. The weird geometry translates to the ungrouped version. If you delve down into the extruded parts, they actually have fewer points so I don't think its related to 3d conversion resolution.

- if I change the window to another shape and back again it resets. The same holds true if I paste it into a clean file.

The weirdest part is that the window tool seems to be coded to draw the oval with a bunch of straight segments rather than smooth curves. It is directly related to Preferences>Edit>2d Conversion Resolution. Tim, what's this set at on your machine? If you generate the window while its set to low and then later change it to high, the window will not update. This is likely the source of the problem.

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
12 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

The weirdest part is that the window tool seems to be coded to draw the oval with a bunch of straight segments rather than smooth curves. It is directly related to Preferences>Edit>2d Conversion Resolution. Tim, what's this set at on your machine? If you generate the window while its set to low and then later change it to high, the window will not update. This is likely the source of the problem.

Yuck it really shouldn't be tied to that setting if it is, however that would also be set back to normal after a preference reset. @TimGIf the preference reset DID fix it, please let us know if switching the 2D Conversion Res setting to Low brings the issue back. I'll file that.

16 minutes ago, JimW said:

Yuck it really shouldn't be tied to that setting if it is, however that would also be set back to normal after a preference reset. @TimGIf the preference reset DID fix it, please let us know if switching the 2D Conversion Res setting to Low brings the issue back. I'll file that.

@JimW its totally related to that. No question. Here's an example from VW2017. The left window is Tim's original, then windows created at low, medium, high and very high. You can see when brought into VW2017 Tim's resets to high which is what my preferences are set to. The half oval style does the same thing. I didn't try all of the others.

Kevin

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 8.53.50 AM.png

Edited by Kevin McAllister

So in my case though I think it was stuck in low conversion settings, no matter what the settings were set too, or if I changed drawings, or created a new drawing file. However, I reset the preferences as Jim's Kbase article explained how to do and that fixed my issue of it sticking on low no matter what the actual setting was. [ although you may want to note Jim incase its outdated, on Mac 10.11.6 here and there is no  “net.nemetschek.vectorworks20XX.plist” file in the 'HD > Library > Preferences' (#2 in the mac os 10.7> section of the Kbase article), i was able to find and delete all the others on the list though. ]

I also experimented a bit further and determined it was my preferences folder that was corrupting it.  I remapped my workgroup folders, still worked, but no go when I remapped my user folder. I was able to just delete its contents though and even slide in my workspace file, and that seamed to fix it again rather than doing the full reset like the base said to do. 

Thanks for the help guys,

Tim