Jump to content
  • 0
SamIWas

2017 Crashes every time file is opened

Question

I just started playing around with 2017 tonight.  The first thing I did was to open the file for the show I'm working on right now.  Crash.  Restarted VW and tried again. Crash.  I have not been able to open that file after about six tries...it crashes every time. I tried opening a backup of the file from a week ago, and it crashed as well.  I tried a file from my previous show and it opened fine, so it would appear that something in the current file.  The current file was originally started from the previous show file.

I cannot post the file here, since it's of a confidential set, but is there somewhere at VW I can send it for testing?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

12 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
2 hours ago, Andrew Davies said:

Have you tried opening the file in the previous version and doing a purge command?

I don't know what that is, but I'll check it out.

For what it's worth, the same file opened on my laptop.  It just crashes on the iMac.  So I'll have to investigate further.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hi, I had this happen after i tried to setup a workgroup folder. Program start to open then crash, every time. Only way to fix it was to use control panel to completely uninstall VW2017 and reinstall, now all is ok.
HTH

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Purge just cleans up a file.  I usually search for it from the help menu because I am lazy.

Worth giving it a go.  Less drastic than re-installing.


Andrew

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 9/16/2016 at 11:48 PM, SamIWas said:

I just started playing around with 2017 tonight.  The first thing I did was to open the file for the show I'm working on right now.  Crash.  Restarted VW and tried again. Crash.  I have not been able to open that file after about six tries...it crashes every time. I tried opening a backup of the file from a week ago, and it crashed as well.  I tried a file from my previous show and it opened fine, so it would appear that something in the current file.  The current file was originally started from the previous show file.

I cannot post the file here, since it's of a confidential set, but is there somewhere at VW I can send it for testing?

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/627/DirectX+Diagnostics+and+System+Profiler

If you can, reply back with the system profile from that iMac and I can have a look, since it was working on your other machine.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I just downloaded the new 2017 and ran into the same issue. Every 2016 file I tried to open caused the program to crash. Very frustrating, especially since my files were pretty simple 2D line drawings. I went ahead and updated both my Nvidea Video drivers and the Intel Graphics Accelerator drivers and that solved it! Phew...I was worried that the new version finally exceeded the capabilities of my graphics card, but it was an easy fix. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hello all,

 

Was wondering if anyone solved this issue?  I've been using VW 2017 for a couple of months now, and generally have not had any problems.  However, VW crashes when trying to open SOME of my old VW 2015 files.  Weird because it doesn't crash on ALL of my old files, just some of them when I try to open.

 

All of the files that DO crash seem to do so when the progress bar (lower right corner) in in the "Generating Resource Previews" stage. (see attached image)

 

Apple Macbook Pro 13-inch  - Mid 2012

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

OSX 10.10.5

16 GB RAM

 

VW 2017 with SP1

I installed Service Pack 1 AFTER I started encountering the crashing.

Vectorworks 2017 crash.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Please, I have the same problem.  But my case the file crashes when I try to change to left view.  I have included a VW2017 files. Please, may anyone open the file and try to change to a view and re-save. Then please return to me. Let me know if it crashes on you too

 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/25cw9bxy9qz6vaf/Restaurante v2017.vwx?dl=0

 

 

Just to ass. the problem is with a Windows 10 computer. I opened in Mac X and there was no problem setting the views . The the file crashed once and then.  Here is the details of my computer

 

http://prntscr.com/devhaw

 

 

Restaurante_v2017.vwx

Edited by Jose E. Calderon

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 9/18/2016 at 6:20 PM, JimW said:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/627/DirectX+Diagnostics+and+System+Profiler

If you can, reply back with the system profile from that iMac and I can have a look, since it was working on your other machine.

 

 

here is my file exported from a machine with a crash  problem.  I also attached a copy of the file in

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a9lsxrbyb495j4q/AAAgTffk5D-87AXkajgfOlt_a?dl=0

 

 

DxDiag.txt

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 12/3/2016 at 10:34 AM, Jose E. Calderon said:

 

 

here is my file exported from a machine with a crash  problem.  I also attached a copy of the file in

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a9lsxrbyb495j4q/AAAgTffk5D-87AXkajgfOlt_a?dl=0

 

 

DxDiag.txt

 

This Lenovo looks to be significantly below the minimum needed hardware to run Vectorworks properly. The grahics card is an integrated Intel chip with only 32MB of VRAM, where we require 1GB for 2017. I recommend trying this on another machine if available with compatible hardware:

http://www.vectorworks.net/sysreq?version=2017

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I'm having the same exact issue opening older VW files and having it crash at "Generating Resource Previews".

I'm on a 2015 IMac, so hardware should be up to spec.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I know on my MacBookPro (2011) with 1tbSSD and 16Gb ram the video card is no longer supported and I crash anytime I try and open a file with PDF in it unless i'm at 1:1 scale. All other functions fine afaik. I looked at buying a new mac book pro but Nemetschek says "Intel HD, Intel Iris and Intel Iris Pro " Video cards are not suited for VW 2017. Well if you look at the latest Macbook Pros those are the video cards that come with it. I've been using this program since MiniCad4 and I find these latest updates a waste of time and money for the most part - the 3d models don't produce proper elevations, sections, etc. like ArchiCad does and it is frustrating to continually have crashes. Please have someone testing your software with the the video cards on the market - I'm assuming your coders are on Windoze only lately as the Mac version is getting slower and slower like it was ported.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×