Question

So I purchased a nice C4D texture pack to start testing the VW import of these textures.  What I received was a .lib4d file which does not seem to be what Vectorworks wants.  Where do I go from here?

11 answers to this question

I believe it needs to be a .c4d file format. Attached is a test one with a lot of random stuff of varying quality to get you started testing it out. 

Textures_Assorted.c4d

I THINK they have to be imported into C4D and then saved as a normal C4D file, once the materials are moved into the new blank document you can just save it and import that into Vectorworks. I do not know of another way of converting lib4d, but the C4D folks may know better.

• Like 1

Where did the textures come from? There was a big change in the C4D texture system a version or two ago with the introduction of the Reflectance shader..... maybe these textures are older than that...

Kevin

(Ha the thread disappeared out from under me.... I was commenting on C4D Textures turning black issue)

Edited by Kevin McAllister

2 hours ago, Tom Klaber said:

What I received was a .lib4d file which does not seem to be what Vectorworks wants.

That is a Library File for C4D's Content Browser. You can (or have to) load these from there.
Often these are encrypted like the C4D own Lib Files to be used with the correct C4D Version only.
So you can't open a Visualize Lib File with C4D Prime only etc.
I think they did this to prevent that their materials could be given to someone else too easily.

So I fear the only way to get these out may be to add all these to C4D's Material Manager one by one
and finally save that file "including assets" to get everything including image textures.

Just now, zoomer said:

That is a Library File for C4D's Content Browser. You can (or have to) load these from there.
Often these are encrypted like the C4D own Lib Files to be used with the correct C4D Version only.
So you can't open a Visualize Lib File with C4D Prime only etc.
I think they did this to prevent that their materials could be given to someone else too easily.

So I fear the only way to get these out may be to add all these to C4D's Material Manager one by one
and finally save that file "including assets" to get everything including image textures.

I downloaded a trial version and installed the lib4d file - and all of that worked as expected.  The issue is now that when I save the document with the textures - they do not seem to come into VW correctly.

57 minutes ago, Tom Klaber said:

I downloaded a trial version and installed the lib4d file - and all of that worked as expected.  The issue is now that when I save the document with the textures - they do not seem to come into VW correctly.

Will this work when you put a "tex" Folder with your Images* beside the C4D File when importing to VW ?

(* extracted by C4D save > With assets)

No - does not work.  Saving with assets is what I have been doing, but VW still does not take up the maps from the purchased textures  - only the default textures.   

Hi Tom,

I know this is a rather old conversation from last year, but I am in the same boat right now as you were back then. 

I'm just doing the same steps, downloading a trial version of Cinema 4D and have to see how I go.

Have you had any luck resolving the problem, and if so how ?

Looking very much forward to your input.

Cheers,

Grethe