Extended Elevations?

Thank you for your reply. I've had a look but I don't think that's what i'm looking for. (If you mean Advance Section Properties- Extent) I want to create extended elevations as the builders here in the UK prefer to work with extended elevations over true elevations (I don't know if it's like that in the US!) So every recess is flattened out on the page. I've googled it and I can't seem to find any information about it so i'm thinking that perhaps it's not possible?

Tried to google.

Something like we call "Wandabwicklung" ?

(An extended elevation is an elevation of the several wall surfaces of a room arranged so as to read as a long continuous strip. Extended elevations are useful in preparing working drawings for decorators.)

I thought this is possible in VW (by use of Spaces ?) but I never tried that.
Have to look into it.

Edited by zoomer

I'm not sure, maybe that was a extra option in the german edition of VW from Computerworks.
(Or even something I saw somewhere in Archicad)

At a first quick look I found no such option in VW, neither in View Menu nor by Space Tool or Objects.

f62a9417321527.562b9ad6d07d3.jpg

Edited by zoomer

Are you generating the elevations from a model?  If so - then it is just a matter of arranging the viewports on the page.  We still do our interior elevations in 2D. I have heard that there is better interior elevation workflow in the works.  I am not sure it will be in 17.  

Are there other software that can do this?  It seems complicated - having to have a rotating camera that detects wall breaks.

Edited by Tom Klaber

You would have to do this manually by creating individual section viewports for each short section of wall and then manually lining up all of the Section VPs in order.

(It would be nice if the Space tool could be used to automatically create interior elevations, but it doesn't. I think it's been wishlisted before).

Edited by rDesign

OK, I see it was Archicad.
I always thought that VW could do that :)

Elevation Viewports won't work.
As already said, it have to be Section Viewports for each wall and manual aligning
Section VP's on a Sheet Layer.

And I second the Feature Wish.

Edited by zoomer

Hi Tom, Yes I am creating my section viewports from a 3D model. Perhaps it is easier to draw the interior elevations in 2D then, if the builders are wishing for complete extended elevations- I shall have to consider that. I believe I read on the German forum that Rhino is able to do this but I don't use Rhino software so can't say for sure. 

Hi rDesign- it seems a very longwinded way to do a viewport for every tiny section of wall but I suppose at least it can be done this way. I have built up a long wall of true elevations using this method.

Thank you for your replies- at least I know now!

11 minutes ago, lolo66 said:

Hi Tom, Yes I am creating my section viewports from a 3D model. Perhaps it is easier to draw the interior elevations in 2D then, if the builders are wishing for complete extended elevations- I shall have to consider that. I believe I read on the German forum that Rhino is able to do this but I don't use Rhino software so can't say for sure. 

Hi rDesign- it seems a very longwinded way to do a viewport for every tiny section of wall but I suppose at least it can be done this way. I have built up a long wall of true elevations using this method.

Thank you for your replies- at least I know now!

I would not recommend you moving backwards.  If you should be able to leverage the model you built.  But yeah - drawing section viewport for every wall is what has held us back - from BIM.  Again - It has been hinted that the issue will be addressed - it is just a question if it is next week - in which case it could help you - or next year.

On 9. September 2016 at 4:23 PM, lolo66 said:

Hi all,

Is there a way to draw extended elevations on VW 2016? 

Thanks,

Lois :) 

No !!!!

But looks like VW 2017 heard you.

It is there !
Creation will be automatic. Just that you may need to move those VP's together for an endles feel.

Edited by zoomer
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The idea is that you would place as many elevation markers as needed, removing any extras individually. You are able to control which ones remain (even just keeping one if you like) without breaking from the marker. If people really like this UI element and what it can do, Engineering has mentioned they are considering allowing a custom number of directions and control over where each one is pointing. Alternatively, another option is allowing the marker to "automagically" determine how many wall views it can grab from its present location and creating as many viewports as it deems possible, but that wasn't included in Phase 1 for this tool.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, JimW said:

If people really like this UI element and what it can do, Engineering has mentioned they are considering allowing a custom number of directions and control over where each one is pointing. Alternatively, another option is allowing the marker to "automagically" determine how many wall views it can grab from its present location and creating as many viewports as it deems possible, but that wasn't included in Phase 1 for this tool.

I would really love to see this expanded to its full potential...... for example, drawing elevations for a theatre box set (three walls, open to the audience, side walls usually angle out), or within a solid addition instead of walls, or elevations that all point towards a point for detailing a freestanding object from 4 directions.

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
22 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I would really love to see this expanded to its full potential...... for example, drawing elevations for a theatre box set (three walls, open to the audience, side walls usually angle out), or within a solid addition instead of walls, or elevations that all point towards a point for detailing a freestanding object from 4 directions.

Kevin

Agreed, work with it for awhile and see what bits you like, what bits you don't and what areas need tweaking. We will get everything together and get the feedback in as soon as possible for the Phase 2 changes.

21 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Kevin

^^^^ I agree 100%. The new interior elevation tool is a great first step, but as Kevin described there are many situations where walls are not at right angles to each other.