Kevin McAllister

Duplicating sheets and drawing label numbers

I often duplicate sheets as a starting point to work from. Today I noticed that when you duplicate a sheet, any drawing labels on the new sheet have stepped up to the next available number. Does anyone else think this is odd?

For example on the sheet I'm going to duplicate, there are drawing numbers 1 and 2. When I duplicate the sheet, the drawing number on the new sheet are both 3. It would be much more useful if they stayed 1 and 2 since the drawings on each sheet are numbered in relationship to the sheet, not to each other.

Kevin

Yes, I think it's very odd. No logic to it from end user point of view.

I could sort of understand the new numbers changing to 3 and 4. But both 3? VWX puts up a dialog if I try to number a new VP with same number as existing VP on same sheet. - And that dialog? "do you want to change the number of the existing drawing?" Well, no. What up with that??? If I created a number conflict with the new thing, I want a chance to renumber the new one, not change the old one! end of rant

-B

VWX puts up a dialog if I try to number a new VP with same number as existing VP on same sheet. - And that dialog? "do you want to change the number of the existing drawing?" Well, no. What up with that??? If I created a number conflict with the new thing, I want a chance to renumber the new one, not change the old one! end of rant

I hate that dialog. I wish that there was a preference to number across then down or down then across as defaults. As I drag things around, VW should renumber, shouldn't it :-)

This numbering anomaly from duplicating sheets is new. I duplicate sheets constantly and don't remember it being an issue before.

KM

Edited by Kevin McAllister

The more I deal with the original issue - drawings renumbering when you duplicate a sheet - the more I feel this is a bug.

Jim, is the WAD? Or a bug?

Thanks,

Kevin

I've been noticing this as well.

Only one SLVP on the original sheet numbered 1, duplicate the Sheet and the SLVP on the duplicated Sheet is now numbered 3.

Smells like a bug to me.

Likely an internal process issue.

1. Make new sheet

2. Duplicate objects on original sheet, that increments labels

3. Move to new sheet

Likely an internal process issue.

1. Make new sheet

2. Duplicate objects on original sheet, that increments labels

3. Move to new sheet

I don't want the labels to change. They should stay the same if you're duplicating a sheet (otherwise its not actually a duplicate). I want each sheet to start with drawing 1.

Kevin

Exactly, the incrementing is sneaking in during the process because the programmers never thought to (or can't) prevent it.

I think the problem is that there can't be the same "name" more than one time.

Same as finder will add a " copy" or number to the file name when duplicating.

Or other Software adds any kind of postfix to any objects.

I think the problem is that there can't be the same "name" more than one time.

Same as finder will add a " copy" or number to the file name when duplicating.

Or other Software adds any kind of postfix to any objects.

Except that Labels can use the same number, if on different sheets. There should be a #1 on each sheet. The Name of each viewport updates as you describe.

I just did a test and got an even Kevins result. A sheet with 3 viewports, duplicated with viewport names incremented as expected "Batten Splice - 7" that was 6. But the labels which were 1, 2, 3 are all now 4, an illegal but not fatal condition.

This is a couple of bugs all at once. And a wish for a "renumber" tool.

This problem with drawing numbers changing when duplicating sheets persists more than two years and two versions later (now VW2019). Its a big waste of time to have to renumber the drawings on a duplicated sheet. Its not clear to me why this regressed. I wonder if it will ever get fixed.

Kevin

• Like 3