Looooong hangs during 3D modeling

I'm sure this has been discussed before, and I'm just being lazy...

I haven't done much 3D modeling in Vectorworks, but am trying to do more. But on one of my first real projects trying it out, I am getting constant hangs when changing views or editing 3D models. These are nothing more than extrudes and sweeps, but sometimes, Vectorworks hangs, using 100% CPU for literally 5-8 minutes.

There are several imported 3D symbols in the file as part of the architect's drawing, which are actually just flat 3D polygons, so I don't know if that's what's causing it. Going to try modeling some bits in a separate file and see if that helps.

But just wondering if anyone has dealt with this, and if there's a known cause. I've spent probably an hour today just watching the beach ball.

I'm getting long hangs too.

It seems to come and go, as if a file or group of files get corrupted somehow (e.g: same model, different class and texture colours).

Panning, zooming, exiting out of editing windows (exit group, exit symbol, ok to texture edits, ok to new classes etc.)

My file isn't huge - 40MB.

When I started a simple new file from scratch(with only imported textures), it seemed OK so far.

I'm on a new secondhand iMac, so I'm not sure if it's the machine or VW or me (I've used VW for 2d a lot but I'm new to trying to do it BIM-like).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Doesn't always hit everyone, we have had trouble with a number of security packages over the years for one reason or another, but that's pretty much to be expected, some of them are extremely sensitive about which applications do what.

I have the same problems, it is mainly after editing groups and symbols and changing view or layer imidiately afterwards. Takes up to 5 minutes before I can proceed working. What helps is closing the file and reopening it. But after some time it hangs again. It is an isolated machine for VW only, no kaspersky or other security pack running.

Just checked the Windows task manager during a lag:

CPU is at 12%

RAM is at 3.5 GB

BUT: one of the cores ist permanentely at 100 %, one at 0% and the others around 12%

The lag remained 3 minutes after using [ALT+click) in the navigation palette to switch all layers visible.

The file has 6 layers and it's size is 35 Mb.

I have 40 undo's.

should I reduce that ?

Just at the moment it's hanging again. It mainly appears when editig a symbol instance with all layers visible after clicking "exit symbol".

Very often after the lag the backup message pops up. So maybe it happens when during executing some bigger operation backup starts to run simultaneously...

Just did that.

- reduced the undo's to 10

- closed VW and started again

- opened all 6 layers

- selected a symbol instance

- selected edit 3d component

- moved the drawing a bit by flyover tool

- choose a component of the symbol, changed the class

- click "exit symbol"

=> VW hangs for 2 minutes.

I can reproduce it.

No clue what's happening here. Imported everything into a new blank document and the hangs persist most commonly with the straight and curved truss symbols.

Your modeling here is completely correct, things were reduced to generic solids and the truss are just collections of extrude along path objects as they should be. I suspect it might be an issue where it is trying to regenerate all the EAPs each time the symbol is edited, which it isn't supposed to do unless you edit the EAPs themselves, however even if that were the case it certainly shouldn't be taking this long. I had one hang (with no edits) that took around 2.4 minutes to clear, which is nuts.

Submitting this file now to see what engineering can make of it. I don't think the stored location of the file is related to the delays at all, just that the delays pop up randomly and seem to get worse the longer you have the file open and the more edits you make. Sorry for not having a more direct answer.

Well the issue isnt THE symbols but something to do with how theyre being handled. I'm able to replicate the hang even if i just take one of those symbols and plunk it into a document by itself and edit/leave the 3d component a few times. Again, you didn't do anything wrong, its almost assuredly a bug, but thats as isolated as I can get it down to geometry-wise.