Detail Referencing

Can anyone please direct me to where I could find information on how to reference details?

I have the Reference Marker Tool but apart from entering text here manually I can't find a way to link that to a detail on a sheet so that if I number a detail and place on a sheet the detail marker will update with the detail number and the sheet the detail is on. The drawing label has the option to represent the Number style as "Drawing and Sheet". The sheet number is greyed out and shows the sheet number that the detail is placed on. I can't see how this us useful as there will be a details page say page number 09 with a group of details all saying page 09. I must be using this wrong.

Also if I have all my details on a layer, I then use a viewport to show each one on a sheet layer, I could use the Drawing Label Object which will update using the VP name, however when I navigate back to the design layer I have a page of details with no title.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by Josh NZ
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jonathan this is what I am after.

Do you have any idea why the marker won't allow you to draw a circle? Whenever I enter 360° the item disappears. Shows with say 350° or less but not a full circle which is pretty much the standard for working drawings.

Edited by Josh NZ

@Johnathan - your tip mentions linking but doesn't actually say how. I assume you mean the Detail Reference tool, which forces a viewport of the linked site.

I (and I think the OP) want something that doesn't bring part of the original drawing with it. In much of my work a detail is typical for many places and it the existing tool becomes useless. The idea is a fusion of a keynote callout, a viewport link and a hyperlink.

I'm open to suggestions!

Hi Rick, the tool to use is the detail – callout marker. I think you are confusing the detail referenced tool the Create Detail Viewport command. This command does create a viewport, but if you use the Detail – Callout Marker, then it will create the same object that the command will create, and on the object info pallet you can choose to link to a viewport.

You do not get a button that will "navigate to the link to viewport". But the detail that you have linked to will give its location to the detail – call out marker. What this means is that if you move the detail to another sheet layer or if you renumber that detail, the changes will appear on your detail – call out marker.

So I have drawn several detail markers in the annotation space of an elevation VP, each marker is linked to another VP on a seperate sheet which shows a detail, the marker shows the correct sheet number, however if I move the detail VPs to another sheet the marker disappears from the elevation VP.

Any idea whats causing this?

There is a tool and a menu command. It all depends on whether you want to make a new viewport or whether you just want to indicate where a viewport is relevant.

"Detail-Callout Marker Tool" is much like "Detail Bubble" except that it links to an existing viewport. It uses a shape to mark the area of concern. (I prefer an arrow, but I guess I'll make it work.)

"Create Detail Viewport" creates a new viewport based on an existing object. (like viewport crop objects) This is like the "Create Section Viewport" command in that it is linked but shows some part of the drawing where the the marker is located.

(@Jonathan: moving or renumbering the viewport works for me with the linking but I just don't have a navigation button.)

Yup... It is the most dangerous part of the whole linking thing.

Cutting and pasting is the preferred method to move VPs around. There is also no indication that VW has erased anything. I have asked at least for a dialog to pop up to prevent you from accidently erasing a bunch of annotations.