Improvements to Vw Online Help (HTML5)

rDesign

Question

I am happy that the online help is no longer tied to Adobe Air, but it still leaves much to be desired. For an example of what I personally think the help file should be more like, take a look at Blender Reference Manual

[i do much of my reading / browsing of the Vw help file on my iPad tablet so that UI experience is what my wish list requests are based on. ]

In general- the current online help is way too stripped down, clickable links are way too large, there is too much wasted space and there is no logical way to browse the help.

1) Provide a navigation menu on the left hand side that has all of the topics, not just the current three (Table Of Contents, Glossary, Search);

2) The should be an Index page that includes ALL of the Command functions with a brief description;

3) All sub-topics should be organized logically, if not alphabetical, then something else that makes sense;

4) Get rid of having to always Click to show/hide the parameters. This is where the important info lives, we shouldn't have to click it to see it, it should always be visible;

5) Relying on the 'Back' button for navigation is a terrible way to navigate a website. As a test, see how well you can browse the help file without using the 'Back' button.

That's all (for now).

8 answers to this question

+1 no more AA

+1 constant vigilance to see how Help can be improved.

It's way better than it used to be.

My main gripe with Help, new and old, is that topics relevant to my search key words often do not make the hit list. So I wish there were a web channel for users to nominate key words for Help topics and an ongoing VWX staff review of the nominations. Approved key words would be implemented instantaneously online, and/or incrementally as Help evolves through service packs and versions.

-B

My main gripe with Help, new and old, is that topics relevant to my search key words often do not make the hit list. So I wish there were a web channel for users to nominate key words for Help topics and an ongoing VWX staff review of the nominations. Approved key words would be implemented instantaneously online, and/or incrementally as Help evolves through service packs and versions.

-B

+10

When trying to find layer and class manager in the Dutch help file I got nowhere and even when I figured out what the Dutch equivalent name was it still couldn't be found in the online help.

There is still too much information not showing up if you have to rely on the search feature. (though the index is also not always listing everything it seems)

Exactly - you should not have to rely on 'Search' to find anything, which is what we currently have to do. And still, you often won't find what you're looking for because you might not have the proper keyword search.

As far as I can tell, there is no 'Index', which is a huge problem; There is only the 'Glossary'. If there were an 'Index', then Search should give higher priority to Index items and put them at the top of Search results.

Perhaps like we have a link on these forums to submit bugs, there is a link in the Help file to submit 'Keyword Search' terms.

You are right, there is no index.

I like the idea of having a submit keywords feature in the online help, however it will be moot if the subject is not even there in the help file like I had with the layers and class manager in the Dutch help file. (Unless it is hidden very well for the average user).

It would be nice if there would be a fullblown manual/help describing all tools, menus and (tool) options as well as some basic tutorials on how to use them (or what the intended use is, as even that is not always clear at first sight).

Preferably available for offline use as well in case you are using a laptop on location and don't have internet access.

I've had a recent example where I wanted to learn more about the Clip Frame that is part of the camera edit functions but when I insert clip frame into the search function I got nothing at all. and I've had that several times in the past. You'd figure that if the use of the program has a function with a particular name that the help would bring that up. I usually end up going to google and see what it comes up with and its usually a whole lot better.

Yes the online help needs...HELP!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Keyword search should now be live in the 2016 version of Vectorworks Help, as well as some layout changes, let me know what other pain points still remain and I will submit them as new requests now:

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2016/eng/index.htm#t=VW2016_Guide%2FWelcome%2FWelcome.htm&rhsearch=spheres