Convert objects made of 3D polygons to solids?

I've received a DXF file which contains 3D steelwork modelled in Strucad.

Problem is when I import it it's all made up of 3D polygon faces instead of solids. Is there any way to convert them to solid objects so I can place them in my mode and generate section drawings that cut through them?

Or maybe bring em through a different program first?

• 10 years later...

@Benson Shaw is right that the file would definitely help us propose solutions. I think I would try extracting the front face as planar surfaces, using the face mode of the Extract tool, and then using Add Surface to join everything together into one surface. From there you just extrude the surface. If you want to remove the facets around the opening you could go back in and edit the polyline (Command [). This gives you access to the cutouts which you could redraw using circles and squares combined with Add surface.

(Everyone should learn about editing polylines with Command [. It's very useful.)

Kevin

• Like 1

I think Extract, then Shell should be best method.  My initial thought was that the trace would produce a more viable or vertex efficient source object.  Not borne out by testing.  I think the Extract (face mode), then Shell should work really well.  I tried to approximate the obj mesh by drawing a 2d poly, clipping the openings, Extrude, then Convert to Mesh (produces a more complex mesh than the OP, but similar).  Tested the Extract/Shell process on both the extrude and the mesh.  Same result either way.  The intermediate Extrude is a good solid, but probably not worth the effort to trace, or to extract edges.

-B

ExtractShell.thumb.png.59d2e8670ce5606979f4b3a127246b66.png

• Like 4