Revit Thoughts

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it's software platform is VxWorks! With all of the computer trademark legal battles, it's a wonder that one wasn't hatched here.

My old Performa 6400 had a PowerPC G3, too, and had to be retired when I had to upgrade the "other" VWorks.

Edited by Bob-H

Slightly off topic,

I've been trying to find a post that laid out a 3d workflow with vectorworks, but have been unsuccessful.

I know they're a bunch of different methods and I'm interested in seeing them.

The one I've been trying to find was only doing the roofing sheathing in 3d... every other part was an extrude. Ring a bell?

Also, revit looks to be around 5700 msrp and up if you were interested

Having come from a Revit using firm to a Vectorworks using firm, I can say there are times when I miss Revit. Although to be honest there are many times using Revit that could send you running screaming out into the street. Most people mistake Revit as a 3D program, it is not. Revit is a giant database that multiple people can edit. The different views are really queries into the database, ... show me this plan at this height, show me this section starting from here and ending there, show me all the doors in a schedule. Once you get that, you can get Revit. Things are not really drawn but inserted into this giant database. Revit is not 3D but can generate 3D views from the database. Sketchup is a pure 3D tool.

That said, I have been eyeing VW to see how it can be made more BIM but haven't found the solution yet.

All the best in your leap to Revit.

Garry Steinhilber

W.T. Leung Architects Inc.

Although to be honest there are many times using Revit that could send you running screaming out into the street.

:grin:

Most people mistake Revit as a 3D program, it is not. Revit is a giant database that multiple people can edit. The different views are really queries into the database, ... show me this plan at this height, show me this section starting from here and ending there, show me all the doors in a schedule. Once you get that, you can get Revit. Things are not really drawn but inserted into this giant database. Revit is not 3D but can generate 3D views from the database.

That's an excellent description Garry, you hit the nail right on the head there!

One could say that Revit is a user friendly database while Vectorworks is a user friendly 3D modeler with a user unfriendly database attached.....

Edited by Vincent C

[One could say that Revit is a user friendly database while Vectorworks is a user friendly 3D modeler with a user unfriendly database attached.....

I don't think that it is as user friendly of a modeler as it should be, however I think it has potential.

As Chris D has highlighted, these particular features and capabilities of Revit:

- Live Sections

- Multiple model views open

- Building materials (not 2D Hatches)

- Work Sets and Work Sharing

seem very appealing! (as well as the others features mentioned).

Edited by Alan H

- Multiple model views open

I've tried this with a double monitor setup and it doesn't really work that well (mainly because of problems with the ribbon setup and how the screens/workspace is defined across them, somewhat like photoshop with multiple pictures open at once.....i ended up having the ribbon and views on one and tools and palettes on the other, this can be done in VWs too.....

Edited by Vincent C

I have a double monitor set up as well the main monitor is 24" screen so you could show a couple of views on this alone if the split across 2 monitors isn't great. (which is probably all I would need).

The multiple view option would be a great benefit because you can work on live section and see what is happening on a live elevation, particularly useful for window, extract placements etc. the idea of seeing these views together would be a great benefit. Rather than the cumbersome way you have to check using Vectorworks i.e changing view and constantly updating viewports.

Edited by Alan H

In my very limited Revit experience so far of going through some tutorial files, the mutliple live view is fantastic.

It's not that you necessarily have them tiled side by side to fill your screen (although you can do that automatically for any number of open views), but just to have windows loosely overlapped on screen of a plan, elevation and iso view all at the same time, with very rapid switching between them, is a revelation.