Can not save due to lack of memory.

Tom Klaber

I had this happen twice yesterday. Both times, the problem continued when I chose "Save As" yet the file still saved even though I was given the warning. After each occurrence I restarted my machine and found a Vectorworks temp file in the folder along with the original file. Upon deleting that, things returned back to normal.

I have seen this happen before but usually when the original file is moved or changed as bcd mentions. In my case, nothing was moved or changed, which makes me think this may be something different entirely....

Kevin

• 1 year later...

This problem is recurring here too.

Batch Export>PDF successfully creates a PDF with out of date Viewport Annotations!!!, missing viewports, and old data.

Clearly the Viewport Cache isn't being overwritten.

Please NV, fix this one asap.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8876&filename=%20Lack%20of%20Memory.png

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8877&filename=Save%20in%20Different%20Location.png

We've been having the lack of memory issue ever since we started generating building section and elevation viewports from our model. We've also been experiencing some lag in the screen display regeneration. I think this is a combined problem with Vectorworks memory management and your hardware.

After extensive discussions with our IT consultants our current theory is that its the amount of dedicated RAM on the graphics card. Even though my iMAC has a 3.06GHz processor and 12GB of RAM and 500GB harddrive....it only has 256MB of dedicated RAM on the graphics card and unlike macmini's the iMAC graphics card doesn't have the ability to share the system RAM so 8GB vs 12GB of RAM makes no difference.

New smaller iMACs only have a base graphics card and 512MB of RAM and can't be upgraded. We didn't think that was enough. The 27" iMACs can get an upgraded graphics card and you can increase the dedicated RAM. We just ordered a couple of these that have the upgraded cards increased to 2GB of RAM. This will be 8x the graphics card processing power of my current machine.

To say the least, we are hoping these upgrades solve the problem.

Joe

Edited by Joe-SA

I have the newest iMac with a GTX 680MX (2Gb RAM) and get these errors every couple of renders once the model is detailed. I also bumped the RAM to 16Gb with this purchase in hope of mitigating the problem but it's made no difference from my previous machine. The solution is to close and reopen Vectorworks after renders.