2D Geometry from Section Cut or Elevation

I am handing off a 3D model to a coworker who will continue the project by drafting in 2D. I need to capture 2D section slices cut from a 3D model and place them on a design layer for drafting. VW Help says the following:

"The Vectorworks program automatically creates a new design layer and places the cut 2D section on it. The original layer remains intact."

But I cannot find these new design layers. Can anyone guide me in capturing these sections (and perhaps elevations) for 2D drafting?

ejw

Are you using an older version of vectorworks? That's a legacy command that I haven't seen for a long time.

If you are using a relatively recent version, you will have much better luck using a section viewport. If you really need lines, you can Modify>Convert>Convert to Lines.

hth

mk

The part of the help you quoted was for a command that no longer is part of the standard workspaces. You can still add it back to a custom workspace, but yikes - glad those days are over!

If you just select a section viewport that is rendered in hidden line rendering mode and then Modify > Convert > Convert Copy to Lines you will get a group that is just the lines from the original section viewport.

One thing to be aware of: If the section viewport is on a sheet layer and the section viewport is in a scale other than 1:1 then converting to lines and moving those lines to a design viewport will necessitate scaling the group of lines (Modify > Scale Objects...) to match the design layer scale. - once you convert the viewport to lines, the lines become "stupid".

The easiest way around it is to first make the SLVP 1:1 scale then convert copy to lines. That way it doesn't matter what the design layer scale is.

hth

mk

I still use Cut 2D and Cut 3D Sections (as well as Section Viewports) and I am glad "those days are over" as well but I am also glad they still remain as legacy commands for my occasional use.

I like having the 3D section in a perspective view that I can rotate.