Solar Animation

lucylou

Hi

I'm (yet again) having real trouble working out how to do a solar animation. I have followed the help guide, and manage to create a QT video over a period of time, but there arent any shadows!

I was intially trying to work out had to simply add a 'sun' to my model to show accurate shadows at certain times of the year/day (as you can very easily in sketch up) and to show them in 2d images, not a video as such.

Any ideas? I'm really stuck!

Thanks

Lucy.

Try this: first, as bc suggests, create some sort of "ground" under your building. It can be as simple as a very thin extrude or it can be a fully developed Site Model. Second, set the view so that you are looking at the South Side (if in the Northern Hemisphere) of the building. Third, make sure that no other light sources are active. This means either turn off or remove all existing light sources. (Note: the Solar Animation command will create its own "sun", and if there is a second one already in the model it will diminish the one that is created by the command, sometimes to the point of making it undetectable.) Fourth, render the model in FQRW (Note 2: the Solar Animation will use whatever rendering mode is currently active when the command is initiated.) Fifth, run the command. To do a quick a test set the total time to be very short. But remember that each frame needs to render so this will take time. Hope that helps! Let us know how it works...

• 6 months later...

John - There was a problem with the QTVR movies because of the CINEMA 4D QT Agent.app was not up to date. I thought it was updated with VW SP3 and SP4. But maybe not.

Find it in Applications>Vectorworks2011>Renderworks. Right click the CineRender.app select Show Package Contents. Click Contents>Helpers should contain CINEMA 4D QT Agent.app

My QT movies showed only the first frame. Replaced the CINEMA 4D QT Agent.app and all was well. I will try to email you the new one via your profile.

-B

Sort of strange. I just made two Solar Animations of the same simple test scene. #1 is from Top view, #2 view is skewed via flyover.

#1 launches and plays in Quicktime Player v10.0 (I think that's the most current).

#2 does not play in Quicktime Player. The player launches, and a start/stop console appears. But no movie window appears and no movie plays when the start button is pushed.

But

#2 does play as expected in QT7, but I had to change its launch permission from Player to QT7.

???

-B