What do you guys think about this?

From the editorial.

In the long run, I believe, access to Revit will prove to be the strategic advantage in this deal for Bentley.

I would expect that both firms are playing long...I can't believe that I'm the only person who sees a huge market for multi-platform BIM interoperability.

Edited by brudgers

I care- and in light of this news I would love to see better DWG implementation within VectorWorks.

I *wish* that you could place a DWG file into a VW file and be able to view it without having to convert it first to VW format. If you wanted to edit the data in the DWG container, then you would have to convert it. Much the same way we can currently insert non-editable references to PDFs, image files, EPS, etc.

If I have consultant drawings that are provided to me in DWG, I would like to keep their references in DWG format so that I don't take on the liability for any possible changes to the data in the DWG>VW conversion process.

Regards,

Tim

I see some alignement from those firms that eventually will disbalance the market from it's current state.

Maybe the only thing that they are not considering is Apple and the fact that their strongest competition, "Vectorworks" + "Archicad"+"Maxon", relies on Apple platform. The only software they actually produce for the Mac is Maya.

Another fact is the implementation of IFC. ?Will it bring it's fruits in the medium term, with two big softwares developers defining the ways of the interoperatibily between a vast group of users?

Edited by Mr. Gog

Here's the orginal press release:

http://pressreleases.autodesk.com/index.php?s=press_releases&item=436%3C%2Ftd%3E

It doesn't say that revit is excluded from the deal, but maybe it is.

On the other hand, Autodesk does BIM in the dwg format using the ADT/Autocad Architecture series products.

If I were to draw a roadmap for Autodesk which assumed that Revit was the future, it would almost certainly include dwg technology as well...there's too much cash involved.

I don't think the sky is falling, as you know, I am a proponent of interoperability between BIM packages.

I wish I could take credit for an original thought: I got the idea when I saw how Archicad appears to deal with external DXF/DWG content. The externally referenced DWG files are still vectors so everything is snappable, etc.

I agree with Shaun that the current PDF implementation without snappable elements is not that useful (especially when it comes to consultant drawings).

Tim

Unfortunately IFC appears to still be very much a work in progess, and it is unlikely to be an effective means of data transfer any time soon. Autodesk and Bentley would gain a considerable advantage if they are able to convince the regulators that IFC is not necessary because there is already a defacto standard in place (theirs) which covers most of the existing built environment. That would leave everyone else out in the cold fighting over the scraps.

I think that's one of the intentions of this joint, Mike. I can see a tremendous effort in centralizing all the aspects regarding Bim interoperability: Revit, Revit Structure, Green Building, Ecotect, Revit and Mental (renderings). And i don't see it good.

NNA may have a good solution with thermorender...but all the users are needing more of those solutions that make colaboration with other disciplines a smooth condition, always supportting open technologies like IFC, or standards like PDF and PDF 3d.

I have found that some electrical engineers like the electrical module, but they need a little more sofistication in some aspects. Why not a real module for pipping, with all the standards considered.

I always say that VW is a really powerfull software. It's light in a good way, flexible, and people like to learn it.

You can solve many design problems, from concept to finished project. Why not push it a little more...again...remember the days of minicad.

Edited by Mr. Gog
  • 2 weeks later...