Help! Rendering

Can anyone please help me. I am trying to render a floor I have created but it just won't. I drew two floors at ground level using the polygon command. I extruded one by 120 and the other by 250.

I have applied a black and white tile to the one extruded by 120, but for the one extruded by 250, it keeps applying the texture around the vertical perimeter rather than across the floor.

I am also having problems rendering interior and exterior walls. I have managed to render the outside of these with brick (scales need altering in some cases) but can't seem to get any interior finish to show on my walls other than plain grey.

If anyone can tell me what I am missing - I have gone over and over it and it's driving me mad!

Thanks

The 'vertical perimeter' floor is likely to be due to the polygon not being closed. Double click on the extrude and with the 2D base object selected look at the OIP and make sure the 'Closed' box has a checkmark in it.

With your walls look at the Render tab o the RHS and check that your texture is applied to the inside of the wall. There are three options: Left / Center / Right

I managed to render the floor,but it seems to have rendered over parts of other extruded objects as well!

Also, I am trying to render internal walls, and even choosing the lgihtest textrue in my programme, such as antique white, it's still way too dark and I can't find any way to lighten the colour tone, using options in the object info, or attributes palettes. Does anyone know how to alter the shades so they're lighter - everything is too dark, including my black and white checked floors which are actually black and grey, despite me choosing white as one of the options in the attributes palette.

To change ambient light levels in a Design Layer: Go to View>Lighting>Set Layer Lighting Options and turn the percentage up. The default is 35%. I sometimes go as high as 85-95%.

To add a directional Light Source (like the sun): Go to: View> Lighting > Set Sun Position.

To change ambient light levels in a ViewPort(VP): Select the VP, then click on the Lighting Options button in the Object Info Palette (OIP).

Hope that helps.

You might want to check out the RenderWorks Recipe book, by my partner in the PodCAD Podcast, Dan Jansenson. It has not been updated since VW11, but it covers most of the basics.

It is almost impossible to render a true white due to complicated lighiting issues. The easiest solution is to put a thin transparent overlay over the objects with a Constant Reflectivity shader and a low opacity.

Pat

Contrast has a lot to do with it as does ambient lighting & specular reflection. Even the anticipatory setting will serve as a virtual modifier of "whiteness" ... just as we expect to see a blue sky... various scenarios will appear more or less "white" depending on the circumstance. For interior renderings utilize dark accouterments to 'virtually' lighten the walls without the need for extra intensity lighting which may create hotspots & unwanted reflections.