No Spotlight menu in VW12 ??

Mickey

OK we bought VW12 so with our new ESP system.

I was against it, but it works better with ESP.

So after install I went to Tool/workspaces/spotlight, and there is no Spotlight menu on the menu list.

If I swith to Spotlight Classic there is.

What gives?

I know there's the new bundled pallete, but that doesn't have the convert, or refresh tools.

And while we're on the subject why did they have to move the menu's around?

It's the old Nemetchek saying "why fix what's broke when we can add new things that don't work"

Sorry I'm always bitter when VW releases a XX.0 version.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The people that redesigned the workspaces, designed them from the perspective of a new user. Things in the new workspace are grouped in more logical places where a user would expect to find them and not under a single menu.

Everything is still there. There is a table in the help that will let you know where commands are currently located to help you get use to the new layout.

"The people that redesigned the workspaces, designed them from the perspective of a new user"

Are you kidding?

So the people that have been using the software the same way for years have to realearn how to do things. Excellent!

Yes I know that all the menu items are still available and can be customized, but why changed the layout?

Why punish the people that use the software everyday?

I agree. After using VW since Mini-Cad I am having to try to figure out where everything is.

Have you been able to find the scale drawing window that used to be in VW 11 ??? I still can't find it!!!

I find it amazing that businesses feel that the users of their products are less important to them than potential new ones. I have been spending money with Diehl-Graph since 1990 and where is their consideration for me as a customer? - pay more $$ to be constantly confused so a new user won't what?? have to learn what we had to!!

You don't have to scale each layer individually.

But they (They being our friends at Nemetschek) did add a coule of extra steps to make things easier for you.

In my research to help you out just now I realize that I can't find the layer and class options.

Yes there is a navigation pallete but there's no scale info in that pallette.

In the information bar below the menus is the layer box.

click the arrow that drops down your layer selections and click on "layers" That will open a "oranization" window.

Here you can select all your layers, by doing a shift select.

Then go down and click the edit button, and now you can change the scale for all your layers.

How's that for a ball of suck!

AH -HA ! I found it!

Tools - Orginization.

That should help!

Do what I did - use the Workspace Editor to add back in the "Active Layer Scale" menu item under Document Settings.

I also created a new menu called Documents and moved all of the items in the Documents Settings sub-menu under File into this new Menu. I find it much easier and more intuitive this way.

[ 02-22-2006, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, who pissed in your people's Wheaties? It wasn't Nemestchek, OK? They advanced a product, plain and simple. You all remind me of how my grandpa sounded when automatics were introduced. If a stick was fine for him, it should be fine for everybody, now and forever!

Take a few hours to learn one of the new layouts and the shortcut keys they assigned. I think you'll see the superior logic in the newer layouts. Then go create your own workspace, or a standard for your office, that includes the best of the old and the best of the new. Me, I like the new way layers, classes, sheets, viewports, and saved views are all accessible with one shortcut key.

As for titleblock w/out border - 1) still use border tool, just shut off the border part after inserting the titleblock, or 2) do your titleblock the old fashioned way. I used to use a titleblock symbol w/ text records. The Drawing Border/Titleblock tool takes this only one step further and embeds the same exact thing into a plug-in, making the editing a lot easier.

Instrument Key - once generated, just go into the group and delete the rectangles. Couldn't be much easier.

No - we sound like people who have been supporting a product for years and are now having to re-learn how to use it. This update made major changes to the program - where menus items are, how they work, etc. so we are not pissing.

It is like they changed the whole way the stick shift works.

I have struggled for a couple of months with some of the bugs in the program, and trying to find where they buried some things. Most of us were taken by surprise by the wholesale changes to the program, and it has caused major delays in getting work out on time.