Make Rendering Easier

Bruce Kieffer

Question

I will refrain from getting into specifics, but trying to figure out which rendering method works best for each drawing and each view is slow and hit or miss. I need a fast, clean, accurate way to render furniture concepts to separate the individual parts. Artist Renderworks cartoon is the closet to the way I need to render drawings, but it is not accurate. Lines are goofed everywhere with some lines showing that should be hidden, and others hidden that should be showing.

13 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Bruce:

One technique you may like is to stack two viewports, one underneath shaded in some render mode, and a top one rendered with hidden line with sketched lines. The lines will be more accurate with hidden line with sketch than with ArtRW, and they will print higher res because they aren't made from pixels.

HTH,

Hi Bruce, There is a pretty easy method of "stacking" viewports which might give you what you're looking for. Here are the simple steps:

1) Create a viewport (VP) of the view you wish to show. Place the VP on a sheet layer. Set the rendering mode to Open GL (or if you need realistic shadows, use Final Quality RenderWorks).

2) Select the VP and duplicate it in place. (Two ways to do that: either use the duplicate array command with zero offset, or Option-Click). Now you should have an exact copy of the first VP located exactly on top of the original VP.

3) Select the second (duplicate) VP and change the rendering mode to Hidden Line. Also, if desired you can increase (or decrease) the line weight (and other) by clicking on the "advanced properties" tab in the Object Info Palette (OIP).

4) Select both VP's and click UPDATE in the OIP. Wait for the update to finish and,

5) Voila!

I use this method to create exterior elevations (and other things). Let me know what you think ;-)

On a sheet layer the DPI setting controls the resolution. This setting can be changed in the LAYER SETUP dialog. Do to the fact that the higher the DPI setting is the longer it takes to UPDATE a VP, I usually leave all my sheet layers set to the default (72 dpi) until I'm ready to print the final version. Then I bump them up to 300 DPI for the final output. Selecting "stacked" VP's is tricky. I often move one temporarily so that I can be sure to select the correct one. One other way you could try is to add an object to the annotations of a given VP, but add it off the printed page. That will increase the snapping bounds of the VP so that you can just click on the annotation (without being *in* the annotations). Hope that helps.

Nic, yes I know. A VP is just a (special type of) object. However with stacked VP's I always need the HL to stay in front. It is extra steps to send it to back , select the other VP, then send to back again. Also in some cases I stack more than two VP's (like for site plans) and I don't really want to have to remember their stacking order. Usually when I am selecting a VP all I want to do is something simple, like change the lighting intensity. So it is fewer steps (or clicks) to select it, change the setting and click "update".

I've been using this technique with a new drawing this afternoon and it's working nicely. I named the hidden line rendered viewport "Lines", and the textured viewport "Textures". I find it's easy to switch between them by selecting the viewport in the navigation palette, control click and select "Activate" (or select "Activate" from the drop down menu), then click "Update" in the OIP.