Rotate Left and Right

Bruce Kieffer

Question

9 answers to this question

Bruce, I assume that CW and CCW, like Photoshop, etc., would satisfy you.

This issue and the similar discussion of "x" and "y" raises a general question. Do we want the program to use the precise and generally (but not universally!) well-understood mathematical conventions of coordinate geometry, or instead do we want to use more of a layman's vocabulary. In the case of "x", for example, + is right and - is left, compressing the information into a signed number, instead of an attribute (left or right) plus a (always positive) number. Even though the latter is a bit more cumbersome, I suspect it would appeal to a lot of people. (I don't think it would appeal much to NNA to develop and test code for both alternatives to give us a choice of systems, which I think Bruce is suggesting here.)

I would personally rather see engineering time go into other issues, but if the change would sell more programs, maybe we'd end up with more engineering time available!

As I recall, Strata 3D and other apps. utilize a little rotating icon with arrows showing the orientation of the planes. This seems to be a proven solution ... easy to implement from an existing code-base and could be turned on-off via OIP or prefs. Some User just have a harder time than others visualizing 3d Spacial relationships.

Well, I do have to agree somewhat with Bruce on ease of use that comes with simplicity. In using the Move command, for example, I always use Polar instead of Cartesian because I hate thinking in plus and minus values. I'd rather memorize that 90 (degrees) is up on the page, 180 is left, 0 is right, 270 is down, etc.

It's still coordinate geometry, but I find it easier to use -- wishing for polar as a user-defined default for the Move command!