Patch for HP455ca and plotter suggestions?

Pat_dup1

Question

Does anyone out there know where to find the patch (Poster Jet) for the HP455ca? I have been able to plot until I went on vacation and came back and now get the dreaded 8993 message. I talked to the Hp techie and he gave me an address to find the patch but I must not have written it down correctly. I have been following the forums various discussions about the apparent lack of support from both Nemetschek and HP to solve the problem of the RIP software. I too would love to know if anyone out there actually has a plotter that communicates seamlessly with VW9.x? I am using Mac OS10 and lower. Is there any reasonably priced solution?

24 answers to this question

I too, am in the market for a plotter than I can use with Mac OS X. Only two things prevent me from updating the office to X: a plotter that will work with OS X and VWA 9.5, and Microsoft's updated mouse drivers to allow for use of the Intellimouse (wired and wireless).

In the meantime, you can try the following link to help you find the Poster Patch, as well as get some valuable information on what plotters work with OS X and when the software/drivers will be available for them.

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpm35004.html#P4_242

Good luck. If this doesn't get you the patch, you can email me and I can email you back the file.

To print to the HP 455 from OS 10, you will have to wait until HP updates the 455 rip software to be compatible with OS 10 (if they decide to update it) or you can use MicroSpot's Mac Plot which is a ripping software similar to the RIP driver HP supplies. Unfortunately, you are using OS 10 and neither of those options are available for OS 10 at the current time. The one other alternative is to print to a PDF file and then print the PDF file from Adobe.

The problem associated with the HP 455 is a resource/memory problem linked to the HP Rip driver. The ONLY HP Rip driver version is 1.1a which is the first and only version of the driver, not to mention it's an alpha version at that. From the buzz on the street, HP no longer supports the HP 455 plotters and it is unlikely they will release an OS 10 version of the RIP software for Macs. Of course there is no official word from HP on the matter of carbon drivers for older plotters - if they do plan to release an OS 10 version of the driver, the earliest would be mid-summer from what I've heard. The best you can do is contact HP and pressure them to update the driver and/or release an OS 10 version of the driver.

MicroSpot is currently working on an OS 10 version of thier ripping software. They released a carbonized version a few short weeks ago. This helps those mac users running OS 9. They should have an OS 10 version of thier software available shortly.

and to continue (I hit the wrong button) - when I export to EPS in vector works it comes out truncated - only 17 inches of a C size 22 inch will show up in the preview -

I've tried all the page sizes and landscape and portrait etc - I'm ready to sell the thing - any ideas?

Thanks in advance

I have had the 455ca for about 3 years. It never allowed me to print directly out of the print dialog box. However the workaround has worked for as long as I have had this plotter.

From the print dialog box I print to FILE. This creates a postscript file on disk. Then simply open the file in the HP Rip. It works every time. No exporting, no .pdf files.

Occasionally the Rip files become corrupted. There is a simple proceedure, (discarding the preferences for one), that fixes the problem.

Once I have all the files printed to file, I can open them all in the Rip and print. I usually Rip them on a second networked computer so that my primary computer is not tied up with the Rip and printing process.

I hope this answers some of your questions/problems.

Please check other posts in the vectorworks and Architect sections. I have been printing to a 455ca on a network . I have VWKS 9.5 on Mac OSX and print directly to the HP RIP running on an print server running OS9.2. I had post script error messages when I upgraded to VWKS 9.5 and the RIP would crash. I since found a corrupted font that I was using that appears to be the cause of the RIP crashing. This now works fine printing directly from VWKS 9.5 to the 455 on the network. I have noticed that printing works much faster on a network with a print server than on a single machine running the RIP & VWKS. My print server is my old g3 powerbook with 256 mb ram. I would suggest having 40-60 mb to the RIP alone. No need for any save as files or eps or pdf file exports. You can buy a old mac G3 for a print server then make a little network if you are on one machine. It works so much faster and is not prone to weirdness plus you can work on your primary computer without delays.

I have had the 455ca for about 3 years. It never allowed me to print directly out of the print dialog box. However the workaround has worked for as long as I have had this plotter.

From the print dialog box I print to FILE. This creates a postscript file on disk. Then simply open the file in the HP Rip. It works every time. No exporting, no .pdf files.

Occasionally the Rip files become corrupted. There is a simple proceedure, (discarding the preferences for one), that fixes the problem.

Once I have all the files printed to file, I can open them all in the Rip and print. I usually Rip them on a second networked computer so that my primary computer is not tied up with the Rip and printing process.

I hope this answers some of your questions/problems.

Kurt;I am new to this board and have no idea why my previous post is posted again.

From what you describe, I am running a very similar setup. I have two Macs and the 455 on a ethernet network. Both are running OS 9.2.

You say that you print TO the print server. How do you do this? I save to computer #1's hard drive, then launch the RIP on computer #2. From the RIP I then select the files that are on computer #1. Computer #2 then processes the files and sends them to the plotter.

What you describe sounds different. Can you explain?

Thanks.

One computer will run the RIP and it will be the "print server". Launch the RIP on the print server computer #1. Open a vector works drawing on the other computer #2 and hit the print button. Do not save as a file but have it go to the printer. It should be partially ripped in the laserwriter driver on Computer #2 (you did choose the laserwriter driver didn't you?) then automatically sent to the RIP on computer #1 for further processing and then to the plotter. That is of course if you have a ethernet network going, a router,switch or hub and all the current software on both computers( 455 rip 1.1a with 40 mb ram min to it, laserwriter 8.5 or above, carbon lib 1.5 or above, the hp patch, correct ppds, &extentions, etc .

I have found some things that crash the 455RIP. Some crash in VWKS 9.5 and 8.5

Corrupted fonts: make sure you have good clean installed fonts. If the rip is crashing on some files, try using only the fonts that come with the computer.

Fill patterns: some work fine, some crash, go figure. you can kind of see from where the printing stopped as to what is causing the problem.

some bit map graphics (like maps from internet) do not print or print black, why? stay tuned

Kurt, I am a new user and after reading your posts you may be able to help me. Of course I would appreciate comments from anyone.

I am considering upgading to VW9.5 and OSX. I have a 455ca and transfer the drawing files to the plot station computer using OS8.5; no network. Reading the problems of printing VW9.5 to the 455 I was wondering, if I save a drawing in VW9.5 (OSX), can I plot it using VW 8.5 (OS9) on the plot station computer with no problems? Will a file from VW9.5 be readable/usable in VW 8.5?

Thanks!

VWKS 9.5 has an export option to VWKS 8.5 so you can export it then open it up in VWKS 8.5 on the OS 9 machine. Or you can get a ethernet switch (try ebay for cheap used ) or router and hook the machines together. Then run VWKS 9.5 on both machines, OS9 on the "print server" machine and OSX on your primary machine. This is a nice setup if you have a DSL or Cable modem with router, then both machines have high speed internet. Then you get a printserver like an hp jetdirect if you have an hp printer so you can share the printer and the plotter. This could cost under $100.00 dollars for cables, used switch/router,used jetdirect through ebay or $500 new from whoever

Im having similar problems--we've got a network of three G4s printing to a Power Mac 6100/60 RIP server to a 455CA, on several files we get either postscript errors or type 2 crashes, does not seem to be fill or font related . . . apparently, it might be the referenced title block we're using. Anyone else had this prob?

look closely at your fonts. You may have the suitcase but not all of the outlines, or the bold, light, or other versions of the same font. I have noticed that I may have the true type suitcase that makes the computer think you have all of the versions of the font ( like black, light, bold, etc). But if you do not have the actual" red adobe logo" file for the black, light, bold, etc. version it will crash the rip. also print the problem file one layer at a time to isolate the problem better. If the layer prints ok its not the problem one.

I just hunted down a fill that my draftsperson swears was not in a crashing file. First thing to do: make a copy of the crashing file to work on, then print the problem file, layer by layer to isolate the problem layer or layers. You also need to do a "select all" then "show all" (button with a circle and 4 dashes around it on the bottom of the file window) to find the odd object that may be way out in paper space. You will be amazed how much stuff is out there that you can not normally see, especally with new draftspeople working on files. Once you locate the problem layer or layers, ungroup all the objects in the layer and then do a" custom selection" for fill patterns. Ungrouping is necessary because the custom selection will not find things that are grouped with other things all the time. The first row of fill patterns seem to work ok, so go to the second row and select the first pattern, then click more choices and select the next till you have one or two rows of fills selected. Continue the process until you find the bugger. You will know when you have the object info pallet open and it shows the object and or also watch the fill/hatch/ colored fill pallet to show a fill pattern. If something shows up, color it red or some other color to find it more easily on the drawing. There may be more than one or it may be so small you can't readly see it. I have found filled boxes so small you can barely see them. It is somewhat satisfying to find them, good hunting!

At the office I'm sticking with OS9.1, HP 455CA, HP RIP 1.1, HP JetDirect box just because it works! (What a bummer because I've really grown to love OSX on my wifes new iMac)

Are there any adventurous souls out there willing to hack an existing HP driver for the 455ca?

Epson has been moving slowly (or not at all) in updating drivers to OSX. Following instructions refered to in an Apple Discussion thread I sucessfully hacked a driver for an Epson 1160 from an SP870 driver (printers have similar specs). I believe the same could be done with an existing OSX driver from HP (the 1050?). It would take somebody with more smarts than me wink.gif" border="0

mmm

Mark,

This is probably impossible since the 455 and the 1050 aren't that similar. The 1050 has a Postscript module in addition to speaking HPGL/2 + RTL, which means it just requires a PPD file to work on a Mac.

The 455 only speaks HPGL/2 + RTL, so it requires additional software to convert the Postscript code to a format it understands (hence the HP RIP software).

While the bad news is HP will probably never support the 455 under OS X, a 3rd party company (Microspot) may eventually release a compatible driver.

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

Hope this helps, it sure helped here:

After getting many postscript errors while trying to plot to a HP 455CA, the problem was solved by turning postscript complexity all the way up in the RIP preferences, and checking "unlimited downloadable fonts" in the postscript options in the page setup menu.

I have been printing to my 455 ca fine from osx 10.1.5 vectorworks 9.5.1 now for about 9 months. Using the networked OS 9 print server setup discribed above. Only thing weird is on some older files, pre osx, some bitmap graphics (vicinity maps from the web from mapquest) print all black or nothing. When I recreate them and import them the new ones print fine. Any other weirdness out there?

I just received X-Rip 1.1, I kept having more and more problems with HP's Rip software. It seems to be a solution! Right now it will not work with X10.2.

I have a beige g3 with a usb card. Using X-Rip's usb adaptor the software installs like any normal printer and uses the print center. There is no Rip program like HP's software.

I haven't used it alot yet but so far so good.

When they update it for 10.2 and network sharing this will make the 455CA usable!! This was the last chance before buying a new printer...

If i find any problems i'll post them here.