rotating drawing

gvelthuis

Question

In 2003 I started a topic about the abillity to rotate a whole document. Something similar as rotating the workplane in 3D, but then in 2D.

Now, when drawing elevations based upon a floorplan, I have to rotate all content of all layers (make them all visible first) 90 degrees, or another angle in case of more complex buildings.

At that moment more contributors had that item high on their wish list; did something happen to it ?

Gerrit Velthuis

Personally, I've been focusing more of my efforts on asking for more functionality out of referencing. That said, I remember how amazingly simply and useful Microstation's rotate drawing command was. One button selected, and a click drag click, and the drawing would rotate on the spot. It made it so easy to draft angled buildings, site plans, etc in an orthoganal fashion. Autocad's UCS interface seemed clunky and hard to deal with compared to it too. This would be another great addition if the folks at NNA could incorporate it.

It's still very high up on a lot of peoples wishlist.

like the other two items still high on peoples wishlist.

my list would be

1. Improved Referencing

2. 2d user rotatable work space

3. Corpable layer links or Design layer viewports.

Maybe v12 will show some promiss in these areas.

What is the issue? The method previously outlined by Robert Anderson in other threads works fine and does everything you need:

- Layer Link the required layers in (check Project 2D Objects)

- Unlock the linked layers

- Group them into a single entity

- Rotate this entity as you need (It will update as you change the source layers)

- Delete it when you are finished with it.

POSTSCRIPT

If Layer Links had Viewport like functionality of allowing you to manage what is visible by choosing which Layers and which Classes this would provide all of the control needed.

[ 03-10-2005, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

Mike,

I agree that Layer Link works, but not well. I find it time consuming to set up multiple refernces, links, etc. and would also appreciate a better way to keep track of them. On top of that, I really miss the ability to clip reference files. I think this is part of where the idea of viewports on design layers is coming from. Add the ability to easily turn on and off layers and classes, and NNA would probably be able to address the bulk of these reference wishlist requests. I guess the 'design viewports' just would not need to have the scale choice included in the OIP, as it could just be whatever the scale is of the current layer.

That gets us to the the point I am trying to make to the good people at NNA.

If Layer Links had Viewport type functionality so that the user could choose which layers to include and which classes to be visible through the OIP we would have a well functioning internal referencing system.

I'm not sure why people keep defending this obvious lack of functionality in Vectorworks. Workarounds and Plugins don't make up for the fact that rotating the drawing space should be part of a BASIC CAD feature set let alone at version 11.5.

-h

quote:

Originally posted by Haich:

I'm not sure why people keep defending this obvious lack of functionality in Vectorworks. Workarounds and Plugins don't make up for the fact that rotating the drawing space should be part of a BASIC CAD feature set let alone at version 11.5.

-h

Indeed i'm not sure either, considering the workarounds suggested involve larger files, and corrupting of the the data.

"There has to be a better way..."

I think the "wishlist" items in this thread are good and hope the good people at NNA are taking notice.

The "Rotate Drawing" plug-in works for me with VW 11.5 and mac OS 10.2.8.

I use it sparingly. As I recall, the documentation that comes with the plug in warns that some inaccuracy can creep in if the drawing is rotated and then later rotated back to it's original orientation. I have had no problems with this myself.

I noticed that this issue has actually come up a few times in different NNA forums. The lack of this feature has even made it to this 'wish list'. So I guess I am not alone in wanting this missing feature. However, rather than add the ability to rotate 2D drawings, perhaps there is a better solution.

After further thought about the whole issue, it really seems to be a long running conflict VW has with its split personality of 2D and 3D abilities. If all 2d objects/symbols were 3D, it would be much easier to deal with it. Personally, I would like to see a major change in how VW deals with 2D. It should become 2D in a 3D space. In other words all 2D objects would exist as a 3D object that would only occupy the x-y (or i-j) plane. You would still be able to view it in an orthogonal or plan/top view, but it would be 'flat' laying on the x-y plan with a value of z=0. Along the x-y plane (edge on) it would be invisible. Think of the interesting views you could have of a 3D plan growing out of a 2D image. You could even do fly overs of your 2D drawings. I think it would make for a more consistent product. I have always found the 2D objects more of a problem due to there lack of flexibility. This solution would nicely solve that. You would rotate the 3D plane and have all the 2D symbols nicely follow along, instead of stubbornly staying put and making a mess of things. The 2D symbols would become 'super2D'. As far as move to back, move front etc., this would still apply - only z (or k) would always be zero. VW would use xy, or ij planes depending on what was presently being viewed.

p.s. Hello again Mike!

[ 03-22-2005, 01:57 AM: Message edited by: jeremyw ]

I'm glad to find out there really is such a problem with rotating the whole drawing in 2D. I thought I was extreemely stupid when I didn't find out how to do it. Obviously it must be a more complicated thing to rotate in 3D - therefore rotating in 2D just had to be there - somwhere! I've spent days and days!!!

Hey NNA!---get this simple problem fixed - now! ...please!!!!!

This feature must be basic.

Lets keep this item at the top of the wish list. Regardless of all the work arounds suggested, this is actually an indefensible ommission and very frustrating when working on a site with multiple dwellings in different orientations. The UCS function in AutoCAD is so blindingly simple and abundantly useful that it should be a must for upcomming VWA releases.

...very frustrating when working on a site with multiple dwellings in different orientations...

Obviously I'm late to the discussion, but why wouldn't Workgroup Reference, Layer Link, rotate and/or mirror copy of LL, then viewport of LL be sufficient? Make sure all layers are named differently. Work on each enlarged unit plan in regular X-Y orientation.

The Duplicate Array command also doesn't switch automatically to the rotated I-J grid. So if both that and Move are improved (to include Polar as default), I think this "rotated drawing" problem is solved -- while staying true to the Vectorworks way of doing things (rotating the grid).

Arch.Ken-

Couple things- your list of workaround steps includes a viewport at the end- sometihng that is only available in paper space- not in design layers. Improved usability in design layers is a key part of the discussion. Also, you list several steps to achieve something that should be accomplishable in a few clicks.

In addition to all that, I've written several times for a need to improve the control and functionality of Layer Links. We often find that after we have moved, mirrored, and or rotated a Layer Link that we need to add a layer to it. Imagine how much easier it would be to simply add or subtract layers to it just like a viewport. Right now you have to recreate all the steps of positioning the original link to add something to it.

The ability to quickly and easily rotate your view on screen allows you to always work in an X/Y fashion, and eliminates the need to include an I-J grid in move or array. However, one of VW's strengths is its flexibility of use. It would be nice if the program offered more control over default settings for tools and commands, including move and many others.

We often find that after we have moved, mirrored, and or rotated a Layer Link that we need to add a layer to it. Imagine how much easier it would be to simply add or subtract layers to it just like a viewport. Right now you have to recreate all the steps of positioning the original link to add something to it.

Erik, could you clarify? A layer link is a link in one layer to a single other layer. You can edit the linked layer, and changes automatically appear in the link. You can't have more than one layer in a link. I think you must be talking about something other than a layer link.

I agree (repeating with improvements what was said in another thread) that we need UCS control: click on origin, click on rotated x axis (defines new i,j coordinate system), no need to click on rotated y axis because a single vector is all that is required. Save the new i,j system as a 2d workplane in a 2d workplane palette, make it easy to return to the standard x,y orientation.

Peter multiple Layer Links can be grouped so they are a 'single' object and then moved, rotated etc. as you wish for drawing other things. It is a work around most suited to 2D only work. It can however also be used to draw angled building portions orthoganally - these can be drawn on one layer and then layer linked into another with the layer link(s) rotated as necessary.

If Layer links could be managed like Viewports in terms of Layers, Classes and extent (crop) they would overcome many of the issues relating to UCS and internal referencing capability raised in these forums.

Thanks for the clarification, I now understand. And I agree that 2d Working Plane (i.e., UCS) capability is a much more straightforward and efficient way to deal with this need. It's basic, and long overdue, but it must be somewhat difficult to implement, otherwise it would have been done by now!

Arch.Ken-

Couple things- your list of workaround steps includes a viewport at the end- sometihng that is only available in paper space- not in design layers. Improved usability in design layers is a key part of the discussion. Also, you list several steps to achieve something that should be accomplishable in a few clicks...

Eric, for what you've described here and elsewhere, I would have to agree with you on the need for a direct UCS interface. I remember a complex project where I set up several drawing files just to do exactly that -- to have usability in the design layers. The several steps were only in setting up though. Once set up, updating is a simple click away. It was purely working within the features of Vectorworks.

However, the limitations of VW's WG and LL were easy to reach. I had to create "mask" objects before viewports came along. Now viewports have their own limitations when used in this way I understand.

Yes, I would definitely vote for an overhaul to gain a UCS interface.