Wall with varying vertical components

I'm trying to model an existing warehouse building whose 20' tall exterior wall construction varies by height.  The first 16' is 12" thick concrete. A 36" tall 8" CMU wall is set atop the concrete wall with the west faces aligned.  Finally there is a 12" tall x 4" thick insulated metal sandwich panel set atop the CMU wall.  The west faces of all three sections are aligned (so the east faces step back 4" as each material ends and the next begins.

Can this wall be modeled as a single style?  I've tried but I can't seem to get the 3 walls to be aligned atop one another.  Instead of a wall that is 12" thick at the bottom, 8" thick in the middle section and 4 " thick at the top - BUT only 12" thick at it's thickest point - I get a wall that is 24" thick in plan view. The three components are the correct thickness and located at the correct height but they are not vertically aligned but rather staggered.

image.png.b76ffc7188b676602315a8e27f7b9b0a.png

How can I get the three sections aligned?

it would appear to me that like windows and doors, etc, there needs to be the option to 'offset' components within a wall.

You can set top and bottom offset, i.e. the z value, but not the offset in the X or Y of the component from it's resting position within a wall or from the centre line of the wall or from the control line of the wall.

Thank you all for your responses.  You've confirmed that my frustration was due to VW not being able to do this (it could have been my brain).  For what it's worth, this is something that VW ought to be able to do.  Given the advertisements and the marketing promises, you'd think it would handle this easily given how often the condition arises in almost every type of building.  I guess this is why it's not listed as a "feature"  My current building is relatively simple so I'll use multiple individual walls stacked atop each other but this is neither logical nor efficient. 

Thank you again:)

The real problem for me comes when you then want to insert a Door/Window/etc into this vertically stacked assembly + you have to line up multiple holes to make it work. But imagine the Wall Closures interface if you had three different wall build-ups within the same Wall object + wanted to punch a Door through all three of them...?

3 hours ago, Tom W. said:

But imagine the Wall Closures interface if you had three different wall build-ups within the same Wall object + wanted to punch a Door through all three of them...?

Interesting Point.

I am sure that I would definitely not be able to use a Wall Closure dialog that is more complex than the current ...

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2024 at 1:12 AM, Tom W. said:
On 3/29/2024 at 1:12 AM, Tom W. said:

The real problem for me comes when you then want to insert a Door/Window/etc into this vertically stacked assembly + you have to line up multiple holes to make it work. But imagine the Wall Closures interface if you had three different wall build-ups within the same Wall object + wanted to punch a Door through all three of them...?

This is exactly the issue I am trying to solve at the moment!  I am building a model with a 36" concrete stem wall and timber framed wall from there on up.  I can build the walls no problem but the door will only 'punch' through one wall.  Help!

1 hour ago, skeyshubber said:

Actually, I JUST solve the issue by inserting duplicate doors in each wall instance when in plan view.  Found a workaround but seems like there should be a better way....

Instead of duplicate doors, you can always use a wall opening and a door.  This makes scheduling a little easier. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, skeyshubber said:

Like @Jeff Prince says, use an Opening-configuration Door in the second Wall. Or use the Wall Edit tool to shape the second Wall around the top of the Door (unless you need to use Wall Closures).

Edited by Tom W.