Would someone be so kind as to tell what I have done wrong please?

@Kevin K Sorry I didn't really answer your question. Before I started fiddling about with the ambient light in my model, the colours were black. This, as you probably surmised, is a TV studio. So everything is black, and I was trying to lower the ambient light so I could focus the lights. That's when it all drifted away from the plan. 

Let's try. this again....first, I am NOT a spotlight person and you seem to be, so can't really help you there.

are the walls supposed to be black?

are the curtains supposed to be black??  You need to try to convey exactly how you want those items to appear

so you intend to have interior views and renderings? seems like that is where you are headed.??

I do a lot of rendering.....sort of my thing, and I will say interior lighting in VW can be a challenge to get it to look correct.  Not impossible at all. but you need to mess with the lighting a bit.

Is your intent to have sort of a dark interior look?? But still have things more or less be visible? Or do you want a fairy bright interior look? 

35 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

It seems to be due to the 53 Lighting Device objects on the "4 Vic LX-Tubes 3d" class. If you turn that class off I believe it's closer to what you expect.

To fix, you might select those devices, click Edit, and change the Brightness to a lower value.

Agreed @Andy Broomell. I opened the file, turned those fixtures off, set all the ROBE beam angles to narrow, added fog to them and voila.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Iainy1961 said:

@mjm @kevin K @Andy Broomell Thank you everyone. Still trying to figure out the nuances of this program. There are a lot it appears. 

@Iainy1961—something I fail to remember regularly is that renderworks is not (very sadly) a previz program. Things which can be done in a few clicks in Capture or LC or similar just cannot be done quickly in RW