Can't Force Select objects in VW2024

Tom W.

Question

In VW2023 I can right-click on an object on an inactive design layer + select 'Force Select' from the Object Context menu to select that object + make that layer active. In VW2024 I can no longer do this. 'Force Select' is there in the Object Context menu in my workspace, it just doesn't appear as an option when I right-click on an object. The only way it works is if the object I'm trying to force select is coincident with another object which is on the active layer + the active layer is stacked below the layer the object I'm trying to force select is on (!).

The same applies to the 'Activate Layer' + 'Activate Class' commands.

Is this a bug or have is there some obscure setting somewhere I've changed that's causing this behaviour?

12 answers to this question

Thanks @BartHays I wonder what it is then...

I tried one of the stock workspaces + it works fine there but in my custom workspace when I right-click on an object that object isn't being 'seen': I get the Document Context menu coming up not the Object Context menu. Or like I said above, if the objects are coincident + the inactive layer is higher in the stacking order, then the right-click will recognise the object on the inactive layer...

It feels like I've got some setting turned off but I can't think what it would be...

I rebuild my custom workspace from scratch each new version. 

I will contact tech support.

Have you tried to take the menu entry out of your custom

workspace and add it again from the list ?

Maybe they changed it or an internal number (?)

As I see, Force Select works for me in my custom WS.

4 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I rebuild my custom workspace from scratch each new version.

And I just migrate them since decades ....

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, zoomer said:

Have you tried to the menu entry to take the menu entry out of your custom

workspace and add it again from the list ?

Thanks @zoomer yes I did try this + no change. In fact the Force Select menu command was there already in the stock workspace that I used as the basis for my custom workspace so I didn't touch it, just added/removed stuff around it. Very strange. Perhaps I should just build a duplicate custom workspace, which would be a bit of a faff, or I could migrate my VW2023 one over...

5 minutes ago, zoomer said:

And I just migrate them since decades ....

I did migrate my template files this time as I couldn't face rebuilding them + nothing terrible's happened so far... 🙂

Strange .....

(I just tried Classes - Active Only, as I only had a single Layer visible)

I did recreate my Template Files for VW 2022 or 2023.

But not completely from scratch.

The custom workspace is just too much work.

But I think it could be much less tedious.

Then I would recreate it too, as I would like to get rid of my old colored

old Icons for Tool Sets .....

SCREENSHOT_2024-01-24_11_43_57.jpg.d20836d07e5195736c3682c1bf7816aa.jpg

Edited by zoomer
5 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I did migrate my template files this time as I couldn't face rebuilding them + nothing terrible's happened so far... 🙂

Except your Object Context is not working.  😞

There have been a few items like this was were solved by recreating the workspace.  2024 seems to be worse about this than some earlier versions. I expect it might have to do with some of the UI changes.

Bite the bullet and move one. 😉

3 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Except your Object Context is not working.  😞

Ha ha yes indeed!  

I am recreating it as we speak. Which is ironic because this is exactly what I did a couple of months ago after downloading VW2024. Hopefully this time it works as it should. 

I migrated my VW2023 workspace + that worked fine but of course then I'm stuck with the old icons so I'm having to fully recreate it from scratch...

What's also ironic is the fact that due to various other issues I'm not actually using VW2024 fully yet but when I do occasionally use it I want to have access to my Object Context menu!!

Ok I've been going round + round in circles. I can duplicate one of the stock workspaces + the Object Context works fine but at some point in the process of customising it the functionality is lost. So as a workaround I'm making sure that 'Force Select' + 'Activate Layer' are in my Document Context menu because then I can right-click on an object on an inactive class + apply those commands to it. But this does not happen in any previous version so looks like a bug, just not sure yet exactly what's triggering it. Tech support are on the case too (well, waiting on me to identify the steps to replicate it...).

OMG I am so stupid. I can't believe I've wasted so much time on this. The reason why 'Force Select' + 'Activate Layer' aren't working for me in VW2024 is because in my wisdom, when recreating my workspace, I decided to remove them from my Document Context menu, thinking they redundant there as they were only applicable to objects. Whereas the fact is you need them in both menus: the Object Context menu for objects on the active layer + the Document Context menu for objects on inactive layers. So my 'workaround' above was simply returning the commands to where they'd always been. What an idiot. Not a bug. Sorry VW.

• Like 1

Actually why would you have 'Force Select' + 'Activate Layer' in the Object Context menu at all then if they only work on objects on the active layer...? I mean you can just select those objects normally + the layer is active already. Maybe it's to do with layers of different scales, which isn't something I do... Very confusing...

1 hour ago, Tom W. said:

Actually why would you have 'Force Select' + 'Activate Layer' in the Object Context menu at all

Yes, doesn't make much sense to have it in there.

On the other hand, for testing I first expected and searched it there too.

I even extra selected one of the accessible objects to reach the object context menu ....

When not finding force select I startet thinking ..... and found it in the standard context

menu pretty much on top of the list .....

• Like 1