New cabinets tool

Habitat43

Question

First of all, this tool is amazing, a lot of my work is in kitchen renderings.  That being said, I have 2 new questions:

1. How do I change the thickness of the box? This is especially important if I'm working on inset cabinets, where the frame is about 2" thick.  In the attachment mark the area in blue.  Also, you can see the settings box, I changed all the settings but nothing changed.  The settings box mentions that these parameters are controlled by an instance parameter but I don't find where.

2. How would I do if I wanted to add another piece of cabinet of 2" thick? see mark in red.

Thanks!

00.png

11 answers to this question

I think you'll find that you come up against various things that aren't possible with this tool. It'll let you customise up to a point and not further. And there are some things that you could do with the old version, that you now can't. For example L-shaped corner cabinet with unequal leg lengths.

• Like 1

@line-weight & @Habitat43

Yeah,line-weight is correct.  It is sometimes difficult to configure the cabinet exactly how you want it. also...thre is a big difference between 'Cabinet' and 'Custom Cabinet' options. You will have more options using, as it looks like you did, the regular Cabinet' tool.

@Habitat43, you were a wee bit vague in your description of that '2 inch thick piece?? So, I probably have this all wrong, but is this what you meant??

Note the 2" wide piece above the upper drawer in the screenshot...is that what you meant??

Cabinet.thumb.png.86700e21f29359625dfd7d3313d926df.png

If so....it is all accomplished by 'adding' elements to the overall configuration, as noted in the screenshot below...You MUST click on the little calculator icon so it becomes a 'pencil' under the 'Face items' description, and THAT is what allows you to edit, add items. etc. That is how I added the 2" piece (if this was even what you were alluding to?) above the top drawer.

config.png.1af5236b55cce1b332e41130e9f5910f.png

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Kevin K said:

You MUST click on the little calculator icon so it becomes a 'pencil' under the 'Face items' description, and THAT is what allows you to edit, add items. etc.

This is worth repeating on every cabinet thread because it is not obvious in the UI.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 1/4/2024 at 10:13 PM, Habitat43 said:

2. How would I do if I wanted to add another piece of cabinet of 2" thick? see mark in red.

For "a new piece of cabinet" what Kevin showed above will work...

@Habitat43 Are you trying to add a new piece, or show the separator between/behind the drawer and the door?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 3/22/2024 at 8:27 PM, bcd said:

Is it really not possible to create an unequal L shaped cabinet?

Unfortunately, at this point of time not included for the new Cabinet tool.

You can make the unequal L shape buy using two cabinets and setting the blind left and blind right correctly. Some manufacturers build it this way anyway. It took me a while to get the blind right on the left cabinet and the blind left on the right cabinet so I could open the doors...

2024-03-25_20-47-21.png