What is component edit?

Basically I think Component Edit is useful.

I seldom see it as it is only meant for when in Symbol or other Edit Modes.

But I think it should be part of the top bar. Like View Perspective or Render Mode.

I don't use these all the time also.

But when I need it it's there.

Not entirely sure why the Component Edit palette elicits such strong emotions! I find it really useful + can't see how it differs to the 'Surface Sculpting' + 'Contour Edit' palettes for Site Models + the 'Profile Edit' + 'Surface Modifiers' palettes for Hardscapes + no doubt some others I've forgotten...

However as mentioned elsewhere it would be good if the palette would remember the formatting you give it i.e. I like mine to look like this in top LH corner:

Screenshot2024-01-02at17_42_50.png.75e0f8800d7bbeb091d272c8d0d96838.png

But it is a big pain to have to have to resize it + move it here each time I restart VW...

For those who have no use whatsoever for it changing the '+' to a '-' will collapse it + if VW would remember this on closing + reopening presumably that would keep everyone happy?

I think the option to get rid of it completely could create more problems than it solves because then people will be forever chasing settings trying to find out how to reactivate it if they inadvertently close it...

• Like 4
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

We find the palette incredibly valuable in CAD Content Development as it allows us to switch between all the different components when developing symbols to make sure that all of the views get their proper components. It is faster than right clicking to bounce between the 3D and 2D components.

• Like 2

When importing USD files from VW Nomad iOS App,

(which are deeply hidden in a nested group orgy)

I would love to see Component Edit Palette to appear - wherever on screen VW decides ....

But unfortunately CEP does not happen to help managing deep nested grouping