Business sign

You can drag an image file and drop it onto your drawing area and the image import dialog options will pop up (at least on Mac).  Or, just copy an image (e.g. in Preview on Mac) and paste it into your drawing, but this method doesn't give you options in terms of file size & resolution.  

2 hours ago, katebjohnson said:

I am also wondering about setting it up in 3D

@katebjohnson

Import the file with the Drag n Drop as @E|FA mentions above

If it is not a Layer Plane Object to begin with, change this in the OIP

Do so in the Front View (import the graphic only as a Screen Plane. First set the desired size, view, location, etcetera, then change it to a Layer Plane Object - less work)

If the graphic is a rectangle you are able to resize it as you would a rectangle

Move this Layer Plane graphic in 3D space, until it is just in front of where you want it to be. (Attached - GRAPHIC ON A WALL.mov - shows such an example.) Note that the Graphic is visible with the design in a wireframe state.

If this graphic is not the final shape you desire, Double Click the graphic and add a Crop. The crop is any single shape you are able to draw.

This Graphic / Sign is two dimensional. ie: Layer Plane is akin to extruding geometry and setting the Z to Zero. It is adjustable in 3D space. (¿ 2D or 3D ?... Confusing)

If it is the face to a sign cabinet, create the cabinet with extrudes, and apply the graphic where the sign face is

If you wish, for example a set of flat plate letters, on a brick wall, use a PNG with the back ground invisible / alpha channel / green screen.  (Attached - BLACK LETTERS ON CABINET.mov - shows such an example.) Black Letters (logo) is a graphic (PNG) set, just in front on the cabinet face. This could be a separate piece of geometry placed as a "Decal" or if you have a few hours to kill, a Texture in a Texture as VW calls the Decal option in the OIP.

Peter
  • Like 1

Thanks for your inputs.  It was somewhat easier than I imagined, but I don't have it quite right yet. The first  screen shot is of the 3D model, shaded.  The other one is the Viewport, with shaded background and hidden line foreground.  I haven't been able to figure out why the graphics in these viewports are so crude. Thank you !

Screenshot2023-12-28at1_57_56PM.png.33771bcb8f29237f415f8bd2d00751a9.pngScreenshot2023-12-28at1_57_20PM.png.96a50b5f9a8776fd4d872e1d48e91602.png

23 hours ago, katebjohnson said:

Thanks for your inputs.  It was somewhat easier than I imagined, but I don't have it quite right yet. The first  screen shot is of the 3D model, shaded.  The other one is the Viewport, with shaded background and hidden line foreground.  I haven't been able to figure out why the graphics in these viewports are so crude. Thank you !

Screenshot2023-12-28at1_57_56PM.png.33771bcb8f29237f415f8bd2d00751a9.pngScreenshot2023-12-28at1_57_20PM.png.96a50b5f9a8776fd4d872e1d48e91602.png

Bump your Sheet Layer DPI to 300 dpi, found by right-clicking the sheet layer in the organization window or the Layer palette

Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 10.34.00 AM.png

Edited by mjm
added scrnsht
  • Like 1