Anyone using 2024?

1 hour ago, Christopher Graye said:

Can't you set some criteria based on the style, @JuanCarlos?

Yes but this would be after the Record has been attached. Your only options (as far as I'm aware) are to either attach records to all objects of the same type (Walls, Slabs, etc) or to attach records to objects based on their class. This is in the left hand object types pane. There is no 'Style' object type that I can see...

1 minute ago, JuanCarlos said:

A condition can be added in this case 'WallStyle-2' is the wall that is getting a record

Selective Record attachment.png

Holy macaroni this is great thank you! I'd seen 'Condition' in the 'Type' column but had no idea it did anything...! Thanks so much.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The Data Manager is certainly the most powerful way to do things like this, and it is our recommended workflow for dealing with project data, so I hope you will take the time to explore it if you have not yet.  But we have also now done the work to properly implement the Attach Record context menu command for plug-in object styles.  It will now work with all plug-ins (instead of just some), and it will also be able to attach records to existing instances instead of only to newly created objects (in other words, it will work the same as it does for symbols).  This will be coming in Vectorworks 2024 Update 4.  Thank you for all your feedback on this issue!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Christopher Graye said:

But we have also now done the work to properly implement the Attach Record context menu command for plug-in object styles. 

Could you confirm whether this includes or excludes Walls/Slabs/Roofs? Thanks.

7 hours ago, Christopher Graye said:

The Data Manager is certainly the most powerful way to do things like this, and it is our recommended workflow for dealing with project data, so I hope you will take the time to explore it if you have not yet. 

It would be great if VW were to make more training material available. I have never seen the info in this thread presented elsewhere yet presumably the functionality described has been available since day one of the DM? Those who are super confident with worksheet formulae + scripting will be in a good position to explore the DM + discover what can be done with it but the rest of us need our hands held!

• Like 3
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
7 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Could you confirm whether this includes or excludes Walls/Slabs/Roofs? Thanks.

No, not walls, slabs, or roofs, which are not plug-in objects, and for which the Attach Record context menu command was never present.

5 minutes ago, Christopher Graye said:

No, not walls, slabs, or roofs, which are not plug-in objects, and for which the Attach Record context menu command was never present.

Fair enough. That's what I suspected. Luckily thanks to this thread I now know how to do it using conditional data mapping by style!

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/8/2024 at 11:46 PM, Christopher Graye said:

The Data Manager is certainly the most powerful way to do things like this, and it is our recommended workflow for dealing with project data, so I hope you will take the time to explore it if you have not yet.

Hi @Christopher Graye

Yes, I spended a lot of time with the data manager but only ended up with big frustration. Please have a look here, thank you !