How to do 3D modelling + technical drawing for complicated angular shapes?

suz

Hi angular walls.vwxteam,

So i have these angular shapes - at the moment no thickness. Talking to contractors they need to have 60mm steel structure inside and 12mm plywood as cladding. How can I add the thickness on all of the structure without funny corners?

Also how would you approach doing tech drawings for these? Elevations etc?

Really appreciate your help.

Many thanks,Screenshot2023-10-27at17_17_40.thumb.png.52570bdc76cc64a37d2b3177fb334d09.pngScreenshot2023-10-27at17_13_45.thumb.png.3f21d2e4df78e85bbe3fc3435bce4c12.png

Su

Hi Suz,

You've got a mass of 3D polys here to make up your design, but they don't all cleanly meet in the corners in some areas and you've got some plains that overlap behind others that met up mid point, causing corners that aren't true edges.  Because of these minor errors, you can't ADD SOLID this together into one clean piece of geometry, which is what you need to be able to add thickness to it.  So you need to do some clean up - use what you have as a template and redraw the surfaces with the 3d poly tool, making sure everything is clean and all points are snapped together - has to be watertight.  Once you have this, as just the outer visible shell of the design, no overlaps, and no hidden internal plains, then you can use the SHELL SOLID too l to thicken it up cleanly.

As for elevations - once you draw each plain cleanly - before you fuse it all together, save a copy of each and then rotate them around so they all lay flat on the same plane.  I would make viewports of the assembled object from front, side, top and various sections to give the fabricators the overall "footprint" of the design and then I would give them true flattened views of each panel (might be good to name each one on the 3d and the 2d layouts) so they can figure out each panel individually.

Hope that helps.

e.

suz01.png

suz02.png

• Like 3

Another thing to consider is construction and joining methods. There may be separate units which need to be created separately then connected via overlap, or hinge, or bevel, to create the desired joint.  For your drawing, it may be better to shell subsets instead of making the entire assembly a single shell. If possible, work with the contractor to determine options and preferences. 

-B

• Like 1