oblique ridge

ddcpe

I'm doing some preliminary modeling of a roof form.  What I would like to do is draw a rectangle of the are the roof covers then be able to drag one of the corner vertices up vertically to create a crease from corner to corner.  I can not for the life of me figure out what tool will do this.  I tried using subdivision but that was a mess.  With that tool I started with a cube primative added a corner to corner edge then pulled a corner vertex connected to the edge I added up and kind of got what I want.  Not to mention that there seems to be no way to select the line work created by altering the primative.  I selected it and hit delete and the cube went away but the distorted edges are still there and there is no way to select them.  All the class and layers are visible and set to show/snap/modify but to no avail.  How do I get rid of the detritus? 

Anyway, it seems like a kludgy way to do the task.  I was hoping to be able to make a rectangle add the diagonal then pull up that corner and simply get two plans intersecting along the diagonal.  I think this can be done with sketchup.

I might not be understanding the question.  You mean a hip roof that is not at a 90º angle to the ridge so it has a "short" hip and a "long" hip?

There's no need to use subdivisions!  You can do this with roof faces and the Join Tool.

Create a roof face for each side of the main ridge.  Duplicate one of those roof faces and rotate it so the bearing line is over the right point on the angled wall.  The roofs should totally overlap.

Then use the join tool in the second mode.  Click on adjoining roof faces to make them join.

• Like 1

Just thought of another way.  If you want to really keep things flexible while doing massing models what about a multiple extrude?  Draw the overall shape of the roof and then draw a line for the ridge.  Select both.  Model > Multiple Extrude.  Now you have parametric control over the slope of all the roof faces and you can quickly edit the multiple extrude to play with overall shapes.

@Benson Shaw will have another, more clever way, to do this in the morning.

• Like 1

Several options. Roof faces are where you want to get to in the end but for preliminary study SubD works well.

1) You should start with a square- iteration 0,  add an edge, drag to suit.

You can Modify>Convert to Generic Solids and Shell to give it thickness.

As said, (3) Roof Faces also a good option but you would need to identify the slope of the second Face to be sure it hits the ridge beam.

image.thumb.png.4877821d0ff38e7e09ead8ab40f455b3.png

image.thumb.png.d292df9e6904452572ed1d7b847f08f2.png

And (2) Multiple extrude is super nifty

Again shell to create roof thickness

image.thumb.png.61ac5b52046328933bf87baa8285f52d.png

image.png.44d0a8fbc19fb227077075d5392ea533.png

image.png.a1714ca6f85aa3f6ae1e4b0654e5e731.png

• Like 2
21 hours ago, bcd said:

Several options. Roof faces are where you want to get to in the end but for preliminary study SubD works well.

1) You should start with a square- iteration 0,  add an edge, drag to suit.

You can Modify>Convert to Generic Solids and Shell to give it thickness.

As said, (3) Roof Faces also a good option but you would need to identify the slope of the second Face to be sure it hits the ridge beam.

image.thumb.png.4877821d0ff38e7e09ead8ab40f455b3.png

image.thumb.png.d292df9e6904452572ed1d7b847f08f2.png

And (2) Multiple extrude is super nifty

Again shell to create roof thickness

image.thumb.png.61ac5b52046328933bf87baa8285f52d.png

image.png.44d0a8fbc19fb227077075d5392ea533.png

image.png.a1714ca6f85aa3f6ae1e4b0654e5e731.png

Option 1 is exactly what I want to do; thanks a bunch.  BTW, any idea how to get rid of the extraneous line work left over from an abandoned attempt at farting with subD tool?  I did a cube, fiddled with it, then selected it and hit delete on the keyboard.  The shaded solid went bye bye but  the lines of the edges remained and cannot be selected, deleted, altered...they are just stuck there.  All classes & layers are set to show,snap,modify but these lines seem to be in some hidden space I can't access.  Any ideas what is going on?  Seems my only alternative is to delete the document and staart over.  I must be missing something but have no clue what it is.