Moving Faces, Edges, and Points

MGuilfoile

Question

I really find the new Push-Pull tool very helpful. Other apps I use like FormZ and 3D Studio Max also allow similar functionality with edges and points, moving them in 3D space. Is there a way to move edges and points in the same way that VW allows moving faces? Please see the attached image for what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

MH Brown

Move Edges in Vectorworks.JPG

7 answers to this question

13 hours ago, Tom W. said:

No crease at junction point with Taper Face:

I misunderstood the red line to be a Fillet.

That would have made it possibly more difficult, at least in earlier PushPullTool versions (?)

But would never come to the idea of moving the red marked Edge as indicated for Sketchup (?)

(in any of my current or previous CAD Apps, but opposed to Sketchup as a Face Modeler,

these were all Solid Modelers)

As I would fear that the the extension for that curved Face would be extended by the

linear Face instead that way. And I would fear that the snapping point - where to reposition

that red edge would not fit.

I would have immediately gone to the PushPullTool.

I would select that little linear Face and PPT-pull it, over the related area, into the left area.

Usually PPT action would extend the curved Face safely this way and reliably close

that gap.

And if there would really have been a fillet in that red edge,

some of my CAD's would have needed to PushPull to the end of the Fillet first,

before being able to again PushPull the little Face over the whole void in a

second step to finally close that gap.

Edited by zoomer

Tom's method worked perfectly. I recreated the object using an oval, and a square.  Cut a piece out and then used the taper face method and it closed the oval perfectly.....who knew.....I guess Tom did.  I checked the oval against the primitive and it was perfect.

I then did the same test, but generated the geometry using NURBS curves and loft NURBS, cut a piece out and presto, it worked again.

Never too old to learn.

• Like 1