Representation of Window Sills in Masonry Walls - 2D

doug shaffer

Question

Hello -

I have had this problem for many years and many versions of Vectorworks Architect.  I am now using the latest version of VWA 2024.

I can get the window with trims to cut multi-component walls as I desire but as soon as I turn on the "Sills" everything gets screwed up.  Attached are a couple of screen captures that describe the problem more clearly.  This seems like a glitch that has never been addressed.  Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

Any help you can offer is appreciated.

Thanks -

231005-VW FORUM-SILLS OFF.png

231005-VW FORUM-SILLS ON.png

231005-VW FORUM-HOW IT SHOULD APPEAR.png

• Like 1

24 answers to this question

We are having real issues with the sill as well

the sill wants to be within the jamb, not the entire window

we are also using shared project files and get a lot of crashing while we save and commit.  Seems to happen after we work with walls and windows.

when you crash while committing everyone gets locked out of the project file and we need to create a new project file from somones working file,  losing the work that had not been committed.

We have had doors and window randomly disappear as well

We jumped into the wall and window upgrades and love what they can do now.  But we have lost days of work scratching our heads and rebuilding files that seem to be unstable.  I think its about the walls and doors windows

any thoughts 

image.thumb.png.c70dc4c41c558730df9b64d47d159b11.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, Matt Hall said:

Any thoughts on a work around for this condition?

or is there something I am missing?

image.thumb.png.fd3a89e3f8a47779ba76ffdcd6773d92.png

I believe this is more of a reset issue (which is a bug currently being looked at).

Try selecting the window and use the Move command to move it by zero to force it to reset.  Doest it correct itself after that?

On 10/9/2023 at 7:47 PM, Matt Panzer said:

I believe this is more of a reset issue (which is a bug currently being looked at).

Try selecting the window and use the Move command to move it by zero to force it to reset.  Doest it correct itself after that?

That doesnt work I'm afraid

On 10/13/2023 at 1:09 PM, Matt Panzer said:

Have to updated to VW 20224 Update 1?  That problem should be resolved in that version.

Hi, Matt P. -

To clarify, are you saying that the VW 2024 Update 1 should fix the issue that I originally posted about?  (see first message in this topic)

If so, nothing has changed for me since I installed Update 1.  And if I rotate the wall containing the window the sills get totally screwed up and I have to move it 0" to get it to reset as you described earlier.  I also noticed that if you copy the window, paste it in place outside of the wall then drag to insert back in to the wall (or a different wall), the offset is changed to 0".  Update 1 did nothing to change window problems as far as I can tell.  See attached screen capture.

This and the complex window mullion issue are critical issues that need to be addressed asap.  Any timeline for a solution?

Thanks -

Doug

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 4.48.26 PM.png

5 hours ago, doug shaffer said:

Hi, Matt P. -

To clarify, are you saying that the VW 2024 Update 1 should fix the issue that I originally posted about?  (see first message in this topic)

If so, nothing has changed for me since I installed Update 1.  And if I rotate the wall containing the window the sills get totally screwed up and I have to move it 0" to get it to reset as you described earlier.  I also noticed that if you copy the window, paste it in place outside of the wall then drag to insert back in to the wall (or a different wall), the offset is changed to 0".  Update 1 did nothing to change window problems as far as I can tell.  See attached screen capture.

This and the complex window mullion issue are critical issues that need to be addressed asap.  Any timeline for a solution?

Thanks -

Doug

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 4.48.26 PM.png

I agree that these are all critical issues.  The issues you describe that require an additional reset should all be fixed for 2024 Update 2 (scheduled to be release before the end of November).

The issue you describe moving a window out and back into a wall having a different offset sounds like it's working as designed.  The Insert Location and Offset setting in the Plug-in Object Options (Or Plug-in Object Style Options) dialog determine these.  These setting are insertion settings only - meaning the object always inserts with those settings. Once the window is in the wall, those settings can be changed in the Object Info palette for the inserted window.  However, the when the window is removed from the wall, those settings are lost.  There are technical reasons it behaves this way.  I would recommend looking into using the wall and wall closure insert location (in the wall style settings) and possible setting the window style to use the wall or wall closure insert location "by style".  Once you understand how it works and set up your wall, for, and window style up, your door and window styles just do the right thing when placed in different wall styles.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

I agree that these are all critical issues.  The issues you describe that require an additional reset should all be fixed for 2024 Update 2 (scheduled to be release before the end of November).

The issue you describe moving a window out and back into a wall having a different offset sounds like it's working as designed.  The Insert Location and Offset setting in the Plug-in Object Options (Or Plug-in Object Style Options) dialog determine these.  These setting are insertion settings only - meaning the object always inserts with those settings. Once the window is in the wall, those settings can be changed in the Object Info palette for the inserted window.  However, the when the window is removed from the wall, those settings are lost.  There are technical reasons it behaves this way.  I would recommend looking into using the wall and wall closure insert location (in the wall style settings) and possible setting the window style to use the wall or wall closure insert location "by style".  Once you understand how it works and set up your wall, for, and window style up, your door and window styles just do the right thing when placed in different wall styles.

That all makes sense, Matt.  Thanks for your help!

Edited by doug shaffer
misspelling
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, fabrica said:

if using a corner window and 'use wall closure' then cills are even more messed up! 

second image is without wall closure.... slightly better !

Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 19.44.47.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 19.44.07.jpg

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

I am able to reproduce this issue as well.

Bug reported (VB-200911).

• Like 3
On 10/9/2023 at 10:51 AM, Matt Hall said:

Any thoughts on a work around for this condition?

or is there something I am missing?

image.thumb.png.fd3a89e3f8a47779ba76ffdcd6773d92.png

When I change the wall closure stetting the wall opening goes to the outside of the frame as shown above

the fix

If I copy to another document, duplicate the wall with the widow, covert the copy wall to unstyled, fix the wall closure, then create new wall style and name it the same as the original, then copy it into the original document to overide the wall style in the original document then it looks right in plan.  Simple?

The walls were created in a VW 2023 document.  We have had several issues with editing door and window styles after upgrading to VW2024.

image.thumb.png.deabf915d8f21a7f528c513cf0e404e9.png