Mac Recommendation

I'm looking to upgrade my mac in the next few months, and I'm having trouble figuring out what's the best thing to get. I have the VW requirements info, but I don't want to get the bare minimum and wish that I had gotten something better after 2-3 years. 

The business folks at Apple put this together: 

Mac Studio: Apple M2 Ultra chip with 24-core 1 CPU, 60-core GPU, 1TB SSD
MQH63LL/A
Configuration:

• AppleM2Ultrawith24-coreCPU,60-coreGPU,32- core Neural Engine

64GBunifiedmemory

1TBSSDstorage

TwoThunderbolt4ports,oneSDXCcardslot

FourThunderbolt4ports,twoUSB-Aports,one

HDMI port, one 10Gb Ethernet port, one 3.5 mm

headphone jack

But there's also an option that's basically the same computer except it's got a 196 unified memory rather than the 64. Obviously that sounds better, but it comes with a hefty price tag. Would 196 make my rendering way faster than 64? I've got 16 now and it's like a turtle. 

A couple of things.  The Mac Studio is a powerful machine, as is the MacBook Pro.  The new iMacs are not as powerful.  In a few months (Christmas) Apple will likely release a mew MacBook Pro with the M3 chip.  I am going to buy that one.

RAM VS CPU (Cores).  

When it comes to rendering, CPU power is the most important, the more cores the better,  but you need some RAM.  How much RAM depends on how large your Renders are.  Here again is another caveat.  A single render or an Animation.  If you want to animate, get more RAM and if you can a Solid state hard drive.  If you are only going to render stills, then a standard hard drive is fine and less RAM.

NOTE: Cores.  There have been times when a software release has not been ready to accept all the Cores available until its next release.

When it comes to programs like iMovie, etc. then RAM becomes an important player.  Even Photoshop wants RAM over CPU.

• Like 2

I am thinking about if I should get 128 GB memory option.

But just to be future proof, as such an expensive device may be in use for many years again

and as there is no more option to upgrade later as I always did in the past with Intel Macs.

But this will not make Rendering faster.

It will just allow to load and execute huge complicated geometry.

(If you have a PC with a GPU with 8 GB VRAM and do GPU Rendereing, it will either

fit in that memory and render - or not)

And even this is no more so important on an Apple ARM Mac,

as it has shared memory between CPU and GPU and both can access more swap memory

from the SSD. Which works reasonably fast.

You can check activity monitor for how much memory you are actually using and needing

for your typical VW projects + other Apps in background.

That should help to estimate how much memory is useful today. If I plan for 3-5 years

I would usually double that memory.

In that sense is not unlikely that for VW you may be fine with default 64 GB memory.

And for render speed,

you already opted for the Ultra, so with double amount of CPU cores and many

GPU cores. You can't get anything faster from Apple today.

If you want to wait for the M3 Studio with additional raytracing hardware acceleration,

that may take at least another 9+ months .....

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 2
16 hours ago, zoomer said:

If you want to wait for the M3 Studio with additional raytracing hardware acceleration,

that may take at least another 9+ months .....

If you're in the market for a new Mac "over the next few months" I'd definitely consider stretching that out to get hardware supported ray-tracing acceleration, as zoomer suggests above.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

If you're in the market for a new Mac "over the next few months" I'd definitely consider stretching that out to get hardware supported ray-tracing acceleration, as zoomer suggests above.

I also think about waiting for M3.

But I am waiting basically since 2009 for a useful Apple workstation.

(while the nearest was the last Intel 27" iMac 2018 ? But only for half a year)

And M1 Studio Ultra did not scale well, so with the M2 Studio we finally have

the first reasonable Apple Desktop for CAD, 3D and a bit of Rendering.

Nothing fancy like my first 2007 Mac Pro 2.1,

but even a bit more reasonable than my interims Trash Can, which I had

to use for another 6-8 years.

But expected M3 hardware support for RT will be a first gen RT anyway.

And if I look at the new A17 in iPhone Pro, it doesn't either look that much fancy

3nm and M3 as I would have expected.

Neither CPU or GPU cores got much faster nor does the battery runs longer.

(Or maybe just another cheaper interims Mac like a Studio Max, or a laptop ?)

So it is obviously worth to also wait for M4 or M5 🙂

But I'm tired of waiting.

I don't want to get more tired by waiting until I retire ....

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Amanda Priano said:

I'm looking to upgrade my mac in the next few months, and I'm having trouble figuring out what's the best thing to get. I have the VW requirements info, but I don't want to get the bare minimum and wish that I had gotten something better after 2-3 years. 

The business folks at Apple put this together: 

Mac Studio: Apple M2 Ultra chip with 24-core 1 CPU, 60-core GPU, 1TB SSD
MQH63LL/A
Configuration:

• AppleM2Ultrawith24-coreCPU,60-coreGPU,32- core Neural Engine

64GBunifiedmemory

1TBSSDstorage

TwoThunderbolt4ports,oneSDXCcardslot

FourThunderbolt4ports,twoUSB-Aports,one

HDMI port, one 10Gb Ethernet port, one 3.5 mm

headphone jack

But there's also an option that's basically the same computer except it's got a 196 unified memory rather than the 64. Obviously that sounds better, but it comes with a hefty price tag. Would 196 make my rendering way faster than 64? I've got 16 now and it's like a turtle. 

Based on what I have, Apple is on the right track with its recommendations. I have a Mac Studio M1 Ultra with 128 GB memory and 1 TB storage. I have not encountered any memory problems, even when running VW 23 and VW24 together. Renderings are fast. I have never run out of memory, and the system has never done page-outs. I suspect this system will last until the M5s come out or longer. I purchased this system expecting it to last for five years.

I also have a 15" M2 MacBook Air. This is also a great system, but it only has 24 GB of memory. I have not used it extensively with VW23 or VW24, but it has performed well when I have needed to make a quick edit or render an image or two. I have used all the memory, and it did page.

I recommend a Mac Studio with as much memory as you can afford. The more, the better. Storage is based on your needs, but 1 TB is fine. You can add external storage as needed.

• Like 1