Legibility Issues in v2024

alex_angusandmack

Question

I appreciate the effort put in the updated graphics but am wondering if it would be possible to improve the legibility of setting toggle-buttons. Options that are toggled on in the view-bar are virtually unreadable on Windows. See "Auto Join Walls" button below: I, for one, can't distinguish the icon unless I highlight it by hovering the cursor over.

On a side-note the "Look At Working Plane" button has been removed from the top bar though, oddly, the "Align Working Plane [...]" one has been retained. Please tell me I'm not the only one annoyed by this?

2023-09-1315_25_47-VectorworksArchitect2024-2385_Master_v2024_vwx.png.e3dae3927dcb1c66189b0776148959fc.png2023-09-1315_25_48-VectorworksArchitect2024-2385_Master_v2024_vwx.png.a34372a69ebf36a74b301d44d047cf60.png

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, alex_angusandmack said:

On a side-note the "Look At Working Plane" button has been removed from the top bar though, oddly, the "Align Working Plane [...]" one has been retained. Please tell me I'm not the only one annoyed by this?

It's been moved into this dropdown, which perhaps has some logic to it.

Screenshot2023-09-13at16_04_58.jpg.f4d3db1ad73d1e1bf2a210e523030af0.jpg

• Like 2
16 hours ago, line-weight said:

It's been moved into this dropdown, which perhaps has some logic to it.

Screenshot2023-09-13at16_04_58.jpg.f4d3db1ad73d1e1bf2a210e523030af0.jpg

Ah fair enough. Means one more click to get to a frequently used feature but it's probably high-time I set up a keyboard shortcut for it anyways. Would be amazing if we could actually re-organise the bar ourselves, dragging and dropping buttons etc.

12 minutes ago, alex_angusandmack said:

Would be amazing if we could actually re-organise the bar ourselves, dragging and dropping buttons etc.

I agree + brought this up during testing. It would be good to have additional options for things we can pin. On my screen I have quite a lot of empty space on the RHS + would be nice to have the opportunity to fill it with something rather than it just sitting there staring at me... 🫵

Screenshot2023-09-14at09_15_18.thumb.png.eb39b6a49bf674cd966361fb17bcccdb.png

'Show Organisation Dialog Box' might be another thing it would be good to have a 1 click button for. Not sure if there's anything else...

@Stephan Moenninghoff what are your thoughts? (great work BTW thank you for all the hours you put into this!)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 9/13/2023 at 3:41 PM, alex_angusandmack said:

I, for one, can't distinguish the icon unless I highlight it by hovering the cursor over.

It uses the accent colour you have set up in your Windows Personalisation > Colors preferences. Can you check and let me know if a different colour helps you read these? 

image.png

6 hours ago, Tom W. said:

On my screen I have quite a lot of empty space on the RHS + would be nice to have the opportunity to fill it with something rather than it just sitting there staring at me... 🫵

I agree completely! 

What about Multiple View Panes? I would welcome if we have predefined layout icons like two vertically, two horizontally ...

Anyway, new UI is amazing and really joy to work with. Great work, thank you!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, drelARCH said:

I agree completely! 

What about Multiple View Panes? I would welcome if we have predefined layout icons like two vertically, two horizontally ...

Anyway, new UI is amazing and really joy to work with. Great work, thank you!

It was pointed out elsewhere that changing from regular mode to compact mode arranges everything much more compactly + without the big blank space on the RHS:

Screenshot2023-09-15at06_20_01.thumb.png.70849ad9e9cc918d881544e4fe1e15d1.png

Screenshot2023-09-15at06_21_23.thumb.png.4f43f0a315955e5ab4df96f649ea22ca.png

On 9/14/2023 at 9:43 AM, Tom W. said:

'Show Organisation Dialog Box' might be another thing it would be good to have a 1 click button for

I've mentioned a couple of times that I miss in VW2024 not being able to open the Organization dialog with one click from the View Bar but I've just realised that you can open it very quickly by double-clicking on any of the tabs in the Navigation palette! Or you can do the same by right-clicking in the list area + choosing 'Details...' or 'Visibilities...', with the added benefit of specifying in advance which mode of the dialog you want to see. Can't believe I didn't know you could do this...