Draw a saddle span stage

Hey all!

I'm trying to draw a 3D stage of a 2D drawing I got for a stage. I've put everything in order in 3D with a 3D locus, just like I saw @markdd do on one of his videos on YT (So educational!). But, I can't figure out how and where to start.. any thoughts or tips? I've tried the Nurbs-curve but I guess I'm too bad a using that tool since I can't get it right 😃

Looking forward to hear your thoughts on this! The 2D Drawing is attached here. 

Many thanks! Martin

SADDLESPAN.pdf

Thank you so much for taking the time to shot the video @markdd! Much appreciated!

I managed to get as far as you showed but the real struggle starts when I want to make a simple 3D model based on the lines I now got from the pdf. Extruding the floor isn’t a problem, I’d say the roof is the hardest. Since the roof has a lot of curves I guess the Nurbs tool would be a good start, or what’s your take? From this view that we got, how would you do?

Again, thank you so much for taking the time and effort!

Martin

On 7/19/2023 at 4:53 AM, MartinBlomberg said:

Hey all!

I'm trying to draw a 3D stage of a 2D drawing I got for a stage. I've put everything in order in 3D with a 3D locus, just like I saw @markdd do on one of his videos on YT (So educational!). But, I can't figure out how and where to start.. any thoughts or tips? I've tried the Nurbs-curve but I guess I'm too bad a using that tool since I can't get it right 😃

Looking forward to hear your thoughts on this! The 2D Drawing is attached here. 

Many thanks! Martin

SADDLESPAN.pdf 40.45 kB · 4 downloads

Who is the manufacturer? Do you know the model?

Kevin

It's almost certainly from Tentnology or Warner tents. Here's the Tentnology webpage - https://www.tentnology.com/our-tents/brands/saddlespan-tents

I've worked in these tents extensively. They hold the patents. @bcd there is an edge truss that holds it taught around the curve. Its assembled closed like a clam shell and then the top side is pulled over into the open position using a crane or tow truck. The tensioned skin plus a safety cable keep the trusses in place.

Kevin

• Like 1

Hi Martin,

I tend to stay away from Architecture as I don't understand the language, but the thread was interesting.  As it finally evolved into 3D modelling, I understood what a Saddle Dome was.  Anyway, lots of great information on this thread that points out the many ways to solve a problem.

I thought that the surface method was very slick and simple.  I like slick and simple.

When I looked at Kevin's link to the company I noticed the outside edges were not planar for lack of a better word.  I thought I would show another take on Surfaces.

• Like 1
On 7/21/2023 at 3:37 PM, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

Hi Martin,

I tend to stay away from Architecture as I don't understand the language, but the thread was interesting.  As it finally evolved into 3D modelling, I understood what a Saddle Dome was.  Anyway, lots of great information on this thread that points out the many ways to solve a problem.

I thought that the surface method was very slick and simple.  I like slick and simple.

When I looked at Kevin's link to the company I noticed the outside edges were not planar for lack of a better word.  I thought I would show another take on Surfaces.

So nice! Great stuff! Thanks!