Layer Limit has been reached. Some drawing layers may not be displayed in the framing layer list

Any ideas, what is a limit?

in my case I have only 49 listed in framing layer lost

while in a file there are more: design and sheet layers as:

DL = 51 and SL = 17

Is there any solution to choose the Layer I need but missing from the list?

I tried to change the name for alphabetical order, then ID order and

to bring first to show in the list - nothing works.

Any idea?

Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 8.46.17 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 8.56.17 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 8.56.37 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 8.56.48 PM.jpg

Never heard of this, but would a test offer anything useful:

In a duplicate of the file, try adding and subtracting layers from the 3 lists. eg:

• Add 3 layers to the DL list and see if 3 framing layers are eliminated.
  • Add several Sheet Layers
  • Delete several Design Layers and see if you can add some framing layers (or if the missing ones reappear).
  • etc.

Might be a workaround if some layers could be combined in the original file, or moved out to a separate file, then reference DLVP back in on a single layer?

That list doesn't seem so long, so I'm surprised it's the limit.  Hundreds or thousands might be a reasonable limit?

-B

Oh wait!  You've reached a limit in the wall framing tool.

That tool is older than dirt.  I believe it has a limit.  

What if you temporarily move some (Half) of the walls to another layer, run the command, got to the new layer, run the command again.

Maybe all the interior walls on one layer and all the exterior walls on another?

• Like 1

Hi Michael,

Yes I know one workaround to copy into blank file, run wall frame tool and paste back to original file.

If I try any other suggestions in the same original file - there was no success running wall frame tool without warning message and no clue what to do to overcome the limit.

I just wanted to know what is the limit for layers when I run wall framing tool.

Thanks in advance for any help from Nemetschek VW team.

Edited by ashot

The limit = Design layers + Sheet Layers = total 50

The order of time Creation of Layers takes precedence, so the renaming or changing the stacking order - does not help.

For now the only workaround is to copy and paste to/from blank file with fewer than 50 layers.

Edited by ashot
  • Laugh 1

I was talking with Sam about this.  It feels like a hard coded array of 50 layers - sheet or design.  

You probably know better than anyone.  Doesn't this command go back to primordial ooze?  Does it predate viewports?  It certainly doesn't work anything like the way the roof framer or floor framer.

Wall Framer is a very old command, originally written by one of the members of the LA Users Group, Miguel Barerra. It was demonstrated to us before it became part of VW (then MiniCAD) back in the 90s. I think it does pre-date Viewports and Sheet Layers.

I agree that it is probably just a hard coded limit. Who would ever need more than 50 layers?  Just like who would ever need more than 640KB of RAM. 😉

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1
11 hours ago, ashot said:

For now the only workaround is to copy and paste to/from blank file with fewer than 50 layers.

I've never really liked or understood the layer/class structure that the Wall Framer command creates. I always immediately copy + paste the Extrudes it generates into my own layers + assign them to new classes then delete the Wall Framer layers/classes then repeat the process. I want the framing on the same layer as the Walls.

But then I'm not using the 2D model or framing worksheets... I'm just using it as a quick + convenient way to generate extrudes. Which I always have to edit anyway...

• 8 months later...

I have just run into a case of the wall framer refusing to create a framing model. Initially it was the layer issue mentioned above, so I copied the wall layers to a new file and tried again. This time I get the message: "No walls framed. All walls on the selected layers exist in classes that have not been selected for framing". Ummm...what does that mean and how do you set the correct classes so that the wall framer is happy 😀?