Stake Labels Don't Scale Correctly in Viewport - Help

Jack2022

Question

Hi All,

I am producing a landscape levels plan and using stakes objects as labels. Usually this is super easy providing the relevant viewport isn't set to scale text it all displays correctly. 

I want to show the stakes at different scales in different viewports.

I have used the Advanced Viewport Properties options to scale the text by two in a viewport. For stake objects positioned Auto or Right they appear correctly once scaled. all stakes positioned as 'Left' scale badly and look messy. Screen shots below. first image shows stakes unscaled. Second image shows stakes once scaled by two in the viewport. notice the stakes on the left of the steps scale in wrong direction.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

image.png.694db6e2eb0b679027f174bd6bd55824.png

image.thumb.png.c774ec4927efd2b59e8d5f70df90061b.png

13 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Jack2022 said:

notice the stakes on the left of the steps scale in wrong direction.

That’s because the text is left justified.

I do not know if any way you can “have your cake and eat it to” with regard to this task.  If you positioned your stakes such that they were optimized for each scale, that would work, but it’s a lot of effort compared to duplicating the stakes to a separate design layer with a different scale.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Tom W. said:

It would be great if Data Tags could read site levels. Unfortunately they can't.

There was a webinar with a Data Tag showing surface elevations of objects, though not a site model.  I couldn't find it on VWU with a quick search.  I'll try later and see if it offers a direction to grab the elevation data from a Stake and then show it in a Data Tag.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, E|FA said:

I'll try later and see if it offers a direction to grab the elevation data from a Stake and then show it in a Data Tag.

#Stake Object#.#Z Value# will do this so that is an option: tag the stakes then turn off the stake class. If you then move the stakes around on the design layer the tags in the VP will follow + reflect the changed elevations. But is obviously double the work because you're labelling the elevations initially then labelling the labels...

Just a shame the Stake Tool functionality hasn't been added to Data Tags, or vice versa

47 minutes ago, Boh said:

My way, which is  unlikely to be your way, is to ask myself “does the person reading this drawing need to see the stake levels in 2 different viewports?”

For me the answer would be no.

It's not unreasonable to want to increase the text size of a stake without the marker being hidden in the process...

Thanks all for ideas. 

I'm going to resize/ reposition the stakes on the design layer to show at the most common sheet layer viewport scale. Not ideal but there you go. The viewport text scale override wouldn't display correctly when exported as PDF anyway. 

12 hours ago, Tom W. said:

It's not unreasonable to want to increase the text size of a stake without the marker being hidden in the process...

I agree with that. Too often tho with vw the time taken to do the workaround is not worth the effort.

14 hours ago, Tom W. said:

#Stake Object#.#Z Value# will do this so that is an option: tag the stakes then turn off the stake class. If you then move the stakes around on the design layer the tags in the VP will follow + reflect the changed elevations. But is obviously double the work because you're labelling the elevations initially then labelling the labels...

Just a shame the Stake Tool functionality hasn't been added to Data Tags, or vice versa

Can you clarify, is it possible to create a Data Tag that recognizes Stakes?

My understanding is that workflows that include text in DL objects are being replaced over time by the use of Data Tags in SLVPs.  This is the case with Doors and Windows and I believe Spaces (which I don't use).  It's pretty easy to auto-tag all relevant objects in a VP, and there's a lot of flexibility in placement and graphics.  Rather than a workaround, I think this is becoming the VW recommended workflow with more & more objects, so if not already available for Stakes it should be added.  

12 minutes ago, E|FA said:

Can you clarify, is it possible to create a Data Tag that recognizes Stakes?

My understanding is that workflows that include text in DL objects are being replaced over time by the use of Data Tags in SLVPs.  This is the case with Doors and Windows and I believe Spaces (which I don't use).  It's pretty easy to auto-tag all relevant objects in a VP, and there's a lot of flexibility in placement and graphics.  Rather than a workaround, I think this is becoming the VW recommended workflow with more & more objects, so if not already available for Stakes it should be added.  

Yes you can tag a stake using that formula. But that's a bit like using the built in ID tag on a Door then attaching a Data Tag to the ID tag... Youre using two tags when you could just be using one. What is required is for the Data Tag to see the Site Model then you wouldn't need to use a Stake at all

• Like 1

I think of it more as using the Door without the ID, and then using the Data Tag on the door, pretending the internal Door tag doesn't exist.  You'd use a Stake tool with the text turned off on the DL, so you'd still have a marker if needed and it can function as a Site Modifier, and then you'd use the Data Tag for presentation/documentation purposes.  I'm sure this workflow won't work for everyone, but is fine for me.  Then again, I don't deal with grading much after the initial phases of a project.