"CRASH" On File Move

Tom Klaber

Question

I have noticed that if I go to open a file - it will bring up a Windows window. I navigate to the folder with the file I want - often times we will have extra VW files that need to be put in ARCHIVE or file managed.  If I move a file from that open window - which I used to be able to do - Vectorworks freezes - and never comes back.  I call it a crash.  

I have noticed quite a few of these soft crashes - where it just freezes and never comes back - usually on something simple - like deleting or modifying a polygon - it will sit there - doing nothing and after 15 min or so I usually give up and force quit.  This seems new to the new SP.

9 answers to this question

On the Mac, the OS File Picker dialog will not let you manipulate files, only select them. I don't have a current Windows install to test that on.

If you are sure you used to be able to do this on previous versions, then you should submit it as a bug.

If you are not sure, you should put it in the Wish List to be able to do additional file manipulation from the file picker.

Yes - I am sure I was able to do this in previous versions, and I am able to do it in other programs.  

Wouldn't any crash inducing behavior be a bug? 

Actually do not care passionately about the ability to do this.  But if I am not allowed to do this - then do not let me do it.  Do not let me do it then crash. 

• Like 2

Hi Tom, I believe what you're experiencing is indeed a bug, for two reasons: 

1. The ability to manipulate files in any 'Windows' window (be it an Open dialog or otherwise) is a convention of the operating system and when software 'calls' on these windows, it is fair to expect that 'conventional' operations will work, at least those operations that match the context anyway. 
  2. I too experience Vectorworks going indefinitely 'not responding' in File > Open… dialogs on both macOS and Windows in relation to Vectorworks. However, I can't recall what the operations were. So I'll do some tests. 

Note: This might be a bug of the operating system, particular to this context (software employing the file handling conventions of the operating system). But it also might be a bug of Vectorworks but subject to particular conditions. 

In my tests just now: 

On Windows, in the File > Open… dialog in Vectorworks 2023 SP4, I've been able to: 

1. Duplicate a subfolder using Ctrl-drag. 
  2. Move a file to the Desktop folder in the sidebar. 
  3. Use Cut then Paste to return this file back to the original location. 
  4. Create a text document (via right-click > New > Text Document) but as expected it immediately was hidden as it wasn't a .vwx file. 
  5. Use the Search box to search within the current folder/directory. 

No issues, but I was expecting Vectorworks to go 'Not Responding' during at least one of these as I have experienced this on Windows. 

On macOS, in the File > Open… dialog in Vectorworks 2023 SP4, I've been able to: 

1. Duplicate a subfolder using Option-drag. 
  2. Move a file to the Desktop folder in the sidebar. 
  3. Use Cut then Paste to return this file back to the original location. 
  4. Create a text document (via right-click > New > Text Document). - Can't be done. Inappropriate context. 
  5. Use the Search box to search within the current folder/directory. However, it did invoke an abnormal amount of CPU activity which doesn't happen when searching in Finder windows. 

So for some reason, on this occasion I was unable to invoke 'Not Responding' on either platform so it seems like that it is subject to particular conditions. 

• Like 1

I have found this to be very repeatable. 

When I go to open a VW file - a file explorer window opens - and then I am greeted with yesterdays choas:

File_New.vxw / File_New_Tom Save 3.vwx / File_new_Tom  / Save 3_Final_New Backup.vwx. - you get it.  So then I go to do some morning file organizing - throwing the files into the archive folder - which immediately freezes the program. 

Oddly - the files are moved - even though it does not show it on the frozen window - but VW is frozen and requires a force quit.

I am not moving files that are open.  I am not going to VW to move files, but it is when I go to open VW file that I notice a file that needs to be relocated.  For the past 15 years - up until SP 3 of this year - I would be able to seize that opportunity to keep the folder clean.  Since the windows explore that opens from VW - looks identical to any other windows explorer - it can be really hard to remember when you are ok to move files and when you are not.

I counter that it would be best practice for the program not crash if a user moves a file from the explorer window.   Or at very least - if this is a known issue - simply prevent the action - or design a file picker window that is VW branded so I can know that certain basic actions will crash me. 

Small and obvious update - this only happens while in the New Home Page thing.   If are just in a document and go to file / open - the window there works as before and expected.

Is there a way to turn off the new homepage on open?  I do not really mind it - but since it crashes the program - would prefer to just turn it off.