Select Similar Tool no longer working (VW2023)

rDesign

Question

My Select Similar tool no longer selects anything, even though I have all of the options selected it gives me this error message:

789707551_selectsimilar.jpg.7107a4776e740087197391147ff7a86d.jpg

I made a simple test file with three Lines all in the None class, and the Select Similar tool will not select anything. I tried both of the modes for the tool (Select Any / Current Selection), doesn't make a difference.

Please see the attached video.

Steps taken to try and repair:

1. I ran Tools -> Utilities -> Reset all Plug-ins, then I restarted my computer: Not fixed.
  2. Then I ran Vw 2023 Updater Repair, then restarted my computer again: Still not fixed.
  3. Ran Tools -> Utilities -> Reset all Plug-ins again: Still not fixed.

I guess my next step is to completely uninstall Vw 2023 and reinstall?

I think my Vw installation is cursed, I seem to be having a lot of troubles...

9 answers to this question

I wish the tool would be updated so that when you have a lot of parameters selected and click on an object that doesn't have all of those parameters, it would still Select Similar based on those relevant to the clicked object. And perhaps in the lower right-hand corner a red message would alert the user that "Some Select Similar options were ignored." 

This would make the tool more useful and less limiting. This thread isn't the first time the issue has been raised.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

You have too many options turned on.  Select only the ones you need to specify the similar objects.

For your simple line test, set the options to Object Type and Class only. Everything else turned off.

Pat - you're exactly right - it was my user error.

I had lost all of my Select Similar Saved Settings (maybe because I Reset all Plug-ins?) and I was just dumbly selecting all options. I had an unrelated hard crash earlier in the day while trying to place a Centerline Data Tag in a SLVP, so I presumed that the Select Similar tool also got broken in the process since I couldn't select any keynotes with only a few options selected.

Am I wrong in remembering that there were more Saved Settings out of the box? All I get is just <Active Settings>: I thought there were other ones provided with the < >. Maybe I created those myself...

I agree with @Andy Broomell in that the tool and its error message could be more user-friendly / helpful. Right now you have to be smarter than the software, and some days I am not that. Clearly.

3 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Only thing I get on my VW2023 selection is Active Settings.  Relaunch VW2022 and see if you can upgrade the saved settings from there?  No. Probably easier to just recreate as you need.

Thanks- I opened both Vw2020 and Vw2022 and they're not there either. I'll just have to recreate them.