DWG to 3D advice

Bryanag

Hello,

I'm currently in the process of learning 3D modelling in Vectorworks after primarily using Sketchup for 3D. I have the dwg files for several plumbing fixtures that I'm trying to model, I've attached a picture and vwx file of one of them. What would be the best process for modelling something like this? If someone could walk me through the steps they would take in this case that would be extremely helpful! Are there any particular tutorials that you'd recommend for creating detailed 3D objects from 2D drawings?

Thank you in advance! 

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 1.55.22 PM.png

Plumbing.vwx

Edited by Bryanag

Here is how I would go about this. It partially depends on what you final use is. If you are making construction drawings to build this then you need to be much more accurate and detailed. If you are looking for something that is the "right" size and will look good in a rendering then you have more lattitude in what you do.

1. Import the dimensioned image (as PDF or image file). 

2. Scale the image to one of the dimension is correct. Then check the other dimensions using the dimension tool to make sure the drawing is to scale.

3. Use the scaled image as a template.

4. The head would be three extruded circles of the appropriate sizes.

5. The flange would be an two circles clipped to give the donut shape and then extruded.

6. For the ball adjust for the head I would trace the profile and then do a sweep. I would not worry about actually making the ball round as it will not be seen in most views.

7. For the arm, draw a profile curve down the center and then extrude a circle along the path.

8. The spray nubs look like cones, so make one multiple extrude, make a symbol of it and then Duplicate array around the circle.

9. The center part of the head would be a bunch of circles put together using Add Surface and Clip Surface and then extrude to the appropriate depth.

10. The button would be an extrude.

11. After you make all the parts and get them in the right position, select them all and make a symbol of them.

I recommend doing this in a separate file, not trying to do it in a file with lots of other object. Easier to work in a clean file and them import the resulting symbol to where you need it.

HTH

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Bryanag said:

I have the dwg files

See the attached - If you have the DWG (¿ Of the Brochure you posted ?) use it a a guide  - My take is Pat's advice for the Flange / Button etcetera - Extrude along path for the arm - a single sweep for as many parts of the the head that are round + an extrude for the pentafoil + zoomers suggestion for the , outlets & nozzles 

Use the view in the brochure, that is the front at an angle, and scale disproportionately attempting to round / flatten it out. It will NOT be the exact geometry, but it will be a guide if that is all you have to go by 

Peter

Shower_1.vwx

• Like 1

There are about 10 or more different ways to make this object. That is the beauty or problem (which ever way you see it) with 3D modelling.  The step by step given in this thread is a good one, but as you are a novice, it still may be confusing.

You could make this entire object with a single circle in combination various tools, but each user may vary widely.  You will need to find your own method.  

The link below shows a complex object being made by a half circle.  It may give you some ideas on thinking outside the box.

• Like 2