Worksheet wrapping... hey old timers, what's the work around?

Two basic options.

1.  Use the Criteria to break the worksheet into shorter sections so you have multiple WSs that are short enough for your needs.

2. Place the long WS on an extra layer and then create viewports that are cropped to the appropriate lengths. The crops will need to be checked if you reformat the worksheet especially to change row heights.

I may have something to help with this the middle of September.

• Like 2

@AlanW no, I want to wrap the whole worksheet into another column (or two, or three)

I want to fit a long plant list in a short/wide space and have the data move as edited - like an InDesign page.

Like Pat mentioned, I've just been splitting a long worksheet into two shorter ones - but the designer in me can't stand that the first column doesn't fill the space! I was just hoping that I have been overlooking some simple workaround.

Check out @Etienne_Mallee's wish list post linked in my first comment - this seems like ArchiCAD does it well...

...I guess I'll have to wait to see what @Pat Stanford has up his sleeve in September!

6 hours ago, hollister design Studio said:

..but for now how does everyone work around this?

Embrace the limitations of the software or construct the legend manually 🙂

I tend to do the latter because aesthetics have more value than speed in design.

Beauty, Accuracy, Speed.... pick one, maybe two if you are lucky.

• Like 1

I wrote a script that can kind of do this back in 2021.  It works great for none-database worksheets as it creates references back to the original worksheet.  For databases, it unfortunately has to make the database data "absolute" in order to split up the worksheet, so it's best to do once the drawing is more or less finalized.

Also, I should mention that, last time I tested it, it didn't properly pull images over, so if you're using it for a plant schedule with images of the symbols, it probably won't work for you.  I unfortunately don't have the time at the moment to dig in and incorporate images right now, but it's theoretically possible.

• Like 1
On 9/1/2022 at 11:55 AM, Pat Stanford said:

...Place the long WS on an extra layer and then create viewports that are cropped to the appropriate lengths...

Pat-

Just tried this and it's not working.

I thought it might be the file I was working in - but I'm having the same issues in a small blank doc I made and pasted the worksheet and plant object into.

• The worksheet in the second viewport becomes white/invisible - at first, I thought the viewport was broken, but if I include a rectangle in the viewport it shows correctly.
  • When trying to edit the crop I can't zoom in (either with the zoom or with the boomerang 'Z' key) - at a certain point the worksheet becomes just a white rectangle - I therefore can't see where I'm cropping to.
  • The second viewport will not export to pdf - the first is fine but the second is blank.
  • Another issue I noticed is that a worksheet isn't a selectable object in a viewport... meaning I can't clink and drag or right clink to context menu from the worksheet - only from the edges of the viewport.
  • Updating viewport doesn't help.

I created a third viewport of a rectangle and this viewport prints, right clicks and drags as expected.

I tried a forth, and a fifth and they all work fine. It's only the multiples of the worksheet

I've attached a video:

You can see that cropping and zooming work fine for the 1st viewport.

They work as far as a rectangle is concerned.

But they do not work for a second viewport of the worksheet.