Corner post showing as offset in 3D

Christiaan

Question

13 answers to this question

@Christiaan I think it's because you have two extra 2D Loci in the window.  Not sure how you did it.  😁  One is in the class A-Nonplot-General and one is in the class A-Fabric parts-Openings Windows-External.  In my experience - and, boy could I be wrong about this - 2D loci in symbols help place the edges of the wall opening.  It looks to me like the 3D wall is moving over so that the outside end of the wall is coincident with that (to me) unexpected loci.

I'm suspicious of the wrapping of the wall components.  Could the wall be trying to adjust for that?  I tried to make it work right, but I'm not seeing the solution yet.

• Like 1

That is curious. The Loci should be on A-Nonplot-General according to the window settings and having two sets certainly sounds like a bug.

You prompted me to have a fish around the settings and turns out Wall Insertion Offset under Plug-in Options is the root of the problem. If I set the insertion location to the the centre of the wall and set the offset to 0 the window posts look fine in 3D. So the 3D posts are not being offset properly.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, Christiaan said:

turns out Wall Insertion Offset under Plug-in Options is the root of the problem

@Matt Panzer I can confirm that this is causing the behavior.  In order for the corner post to join correctly in 3D:  in the OIP for the corner windows "Insert:" has to be set to either "Wall-Centerline" or "Core Component - Centerline" AND "Offset:" has to be set to 0.  I believe you already have my test file from the other related thread.

• Like 3
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
7 hours ago, E|FA said:

@Matt Panzer I can confirm that this is causing the behavior.  In order for the corner post to join correctly in 3D:  in the OIP for the corner windows "Insert:" has to be set to either "Wall-Centerline" or "Core Component - Centerline" AND "Offset:" has to be set to 0.  I believe you already have my test file from the other related thread.

‘Right.  The problem is related to the new wall insertion locations.  We are aware of the cause but the fix is a bit more complicated that one might think.  I added a link to this thread in the bug report to help nudge it along.

@Christiaan I was playing around with this a bit and found that the "Mitred Sash" corner doesn't have the same problem in 3D, though with my custom window style it has a minor glitch in 2D.  Depending on how realistic your render needs to be, this might be enough to show your design intent.  It's definitely better than seeing the split corner post with a void in the middle.

On 3/18/2022 at 1:07 PM, michaelk said:

you have two extra 2D Loci in the window

I can confirm that starting with a VW Window PIO inserted in a Wall ("Window in Wall") with"Corner window" checked -> Select the Window in Wall -> Ungroup (ungroups Wall and leaves Window as PIO) -> Select Window & ungroup.  The resulting 2D window has two 2D Loci at the wall (not the corner), two 2D Loci near the corner (I suspect these are supposed to be at the corner), and a single 2D Locus centered between the pairs of Loci (I suspect their is supposed to be at the window centerline).  

The doubled Loci have two different Classes.  One matches the Class of the Window PIO.  The other matches the Class set for Window Settings -> 2D Visualization -> Visibility Classes -> 2D Loci.

@Matt Panzer I'm guessing your team already knows this, but flagging you in case this helps.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
19 hours ago, E|FA said:

I can confirm that starting with a VW Window PIO inserted in a Wall ("Window in Wall") with"Corner window" checked -> Select the Window in Wall -> Ungroup (ungroups Wall and leaves Window as PIO) -> Select Window & ungroup.  The resulting 2D window has two 2D Loci at the wall (not the corner), two 2D Loci near the corner (I suspect these are supposed to be at the corner), and a single 2D Locus centered between the pairs of Loci (I suspect their is supposed to be at the window centerline).  

The doubled Loci have two different Classes.  One matches the Class of the Window PIO.  The other matches the Class set for Window Settings -> 2D Visualization -> Visibility Classes -> 2D Loci.

@Matt Panzer I'm guessing your team already knows this, but flagging you in case this helps.

Thanks Allan,

Yes.  We are aware of the loci and there location should be at the corner.  The incorrect placement is also due to the bug.