jarjones

Extrudes are suddenly locked on creation

Question

Posted (edited)

I'm making some windows for a theatrical set and doing lots of chamfering of extruded rectangles, pretty simple.  Suddenly, all the extrudes I create are showing up as locked when I try to chamfer them.  Unlocking the extrude objects has no effect.  I reset the preferences, which also has had no effect.  It has also locked objects that were already chamfered; if I ungroup them and remove the chamfer, I cannot select an edge to chamfer because it is locked.  I'm on VW 2018 on Mac Mojave.  Any idea what's going on and how to fix it?  It's ground me to a halt.

Thanks,

Jeff A.R. Jones

problem windows.vwx

Edited by jarjones

4 answers to this question

Hi Jeff,

Things seem to be behaving as expected when I open the file in my version of Vectorworks. Unfortunately I'm using VW2019 so that may not mean much. I would try copying and pasting the problem geometry into a new file and testing there. If it works then you could try copy/pasting it back into your original file and see if things resolve themselves.

Kevin

Did anyone perhaps find a solution to Jeff's 'bug'? I've just had the same thing happen to me. Once it happens in a file, I find it sticks and haven't found a way to drag it to unstuck! I open another file, even during the same session, and fillets/chamfers work. But not on the stuck file. It seems likely there's a setting (did I mistakenly press the wrong combination of keys?) that can be triggered to lock all extrudes. Any help would be wonderful!

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Did anyone perhaps find a solution to Jeff's 'bug'? I've just had the same thing happen to me. Once it happens in a file, I find it sticks and haven't found a way to drag it to unstuck! I open another file, even during the same session, and fillets/chamfers work. But not on the stuck file. It seems likely there's a setting (did I mistakenly press the wrong combination of keys?) that can be triggered to lock all extrudes. Any help would be wonderful!

Have you tried using cut/paste to move the object to a clean file, fillet/chamfering it there and then using cut/paste to move it back into your original file? It might be a possible workaround.

Kevin

• Like 1

In my case, it wasn't working because the chamfer was too big for the item.  The fillet value was reverting to a previously typed size when I switched tools and I wasn't catching that.  When I'm working with fillets and chamfers, the OIP still says they're locked, but they work fine unless the values can't be computed fos some reason (tight curves, multiple intersections, etc.)  I also updated to 2019, which has run better than any version to date.