I haven't tried it yet, but was looking into the app. Saw it in conjunction with the shapr3D app, because they both support the new 3d file format from Apple. Don't know if Morpholio Trace is supporting other file formats though. Maybe Vectorworks will introduce a new export option to USDZ-file format in the 2020 version.

• Like 1

@Christiaan I'm curious if you went that way.  I tried it for a while but wasn't satisfied with it.  I also tried a number of other architectural sketching apps before finally settling on Procreate.  Digsketch has some videos on YouTube which showed me what was possible and convinced me to give it a go.  The interface is elegant and after some use - it's hands down better than everything else that I tried.

I've been using Trace for a while now, and am pretty happy with it.  After looking at most (?) of the alternatives, I found it closest to be the best paperless way to mimic how I use a roll of trace to work through loose ideas before starting to look at them in VW.  Starting with a blank page or an image underlay (PDF, aerial photo, etc) I just start working up transparent layers, saving some, turning some off, and deleting most.  I only use a few pen styles and avoid most of the fancy tools.   Nothing is meant to look good or to be presented to clients.  For that workflow it's a great tool.  One problem is that it doesn't sync between devices.  You can export PDFs, but not native format files.

@Taproot  I found it difficult to manage layers and transparencies in the little time I tried Procreate.  Would you recommend taking a second look?

Posted (edited)

@E|FA The learning curve with software takes a lot more up front, so if you find one that you're comfortable with then that's a big hurdle overcome and sticking with it may be the easier course.

Layer opacity in Procreate is super easy.  Select the layer, then the selection wand icon (Gallery, Wrench, Wand menu at top left).  The first choice in the pop up menu is "Opacity" and you just slide your finger left or right on the screen to set it to whatever looks right to you. 

I also really like the layers ... you can easily add layers (hit the + button) or pinch two of them together to combine them....

If you really want a long term robust app, then it's definitely worth a second look.  To do so, take the 30 minutes to view some experienced tutorials.  Most of the features aren't spelled out for you, but once you start using them you see how thoughtful and intuitive they are to use on the fly.

I especially like the way in which it toggles between constrained and unconstrained modes.  You can easily toggle "assisted drawing" mode on and off and if you're drawing freehand, you can just hold the pen down and it will automatically lock in a constrained mode for drawing straight lines, circles, etc...

Here's a quick test where I imported a photo, reduced its opacity and then traced over it before deleting it.  Just a few minutes of effort.

IMG_0857.thumb.jpg.4e05f35874b971ad1fe78060efe5b6f4.jpg

Edited by Taproot
  • Like 1

Thanks.  I'll try playing with it a little more.  Being able to merge layers would be a plus.