jnr

dual monitor irritation

Question

Two monitors, vectorworks always opens on the home monitor, then have to move it to second monitor across a shared desktop every time it opens. Desktop has to be set this way otherwise pallettes reset to monitor vecotorworks is open on. open or close the application, and vectorworks defaults to home monitor. Highly irritating.

Two monitors, any Adobe product. open, close, turn off computer, turn back on, Adobe product opens exactly where you left it.

• Like 1

13 answers to this question

Seems like an issue with (your mac), as it works ok on my windows machine. Not of much help though.

Does it make a difference if you use Window>Palettes>Save Palette Position before you close VW?

Its a mac OS to Vectorworks issue. Jim Wilson is aware of it. Posting here to get it on the list. Palette postion is internal to the software and only affects stuff within the application, not the position of the application window on the OS desktop unfortuately.  As noted, my Adobe products don't do this. They remember where they are supposed to be.

I can't get VW to work with a 4k + 1900x1200 setup. Palettes go wherever they want and don't work on the 2nd screen at all, the jump back. All positions are lost on re-open. Removing the 4k from the equation and replacing it with an ordinary screen solves the problems. A Windows 10 machine. As with Jnr, other software behaves just fine.

Unless I missed something, why has this not been addressed? Another year of dragging the vectorworks window across my desktop to my second monitor every morning? In light of the mulitiple view pane capability and now a graphics engine that works like it supposed to, why is this not a priority? Every workstation in architecture firms I visit (using Autosuc products) is dual monitor. 

Competing software is capable. Adobe products work no problem. 

Can I get a rebate for the accumulated time I lose throughout the year for the loss in productivity?

This is incredibly frustrating. I would hope I'm wrong but not seeing it.

UGH!

I'll add another voice to this request.  It's really a pain to shuffle the window and palettes over every time I start up.

It's been now at least a few years and this issue has not been addressed.

Why?...do I keep paying for VSS?

its a Mac issue.  Has been an issue for us since 2012.  Save pallet positions does not work well, and if you nest the pallets it goes really wonky on you with dual monitors. 

It's not an OS issue, its a Vectorworks issue. All my Adobe products on my Mac behave as advertised, stay put, and open where you last left them.

Additionally I find that the size of the drawing defaults to the Primary monitor, not the one it was saved from.

Odd.  I don't have this problem you're describing.  Whichever monitor I use the Dock on is where the main drawing window opens (and I can use the Dock from either monitor, of course.) .   As long as I open from the same monitor, my palettes don't wander.  Switching monitors means manual rearrangement, of course.

I wonder if something is interfering, like using Spaces, Mac OS restore windows functionality, or something like that.

Other applications will open their windows in the last monitor used by that app, regardless of where the dock resides. 

• Like 1

This problem has been with us from 2017....on all Windows workstations in the office. No issues with any other application.