un join walls

I am working on a reno/addition and need to show demo walls. I like to use a dashed line to indicate the demo items. I have a section of wall to be removed and have created a custom wall as desired. But I place it, it wants to auto-join to existing walls to remain and I don't think I want it to be joined to them. How do I "un-join" the wall?

If Auto Join Walls is ON (in prefs) then I'm not sure you can. But a work around is to select each Demo Wall and then Group it. I'm pretty sure that if the Wall is in a Group (even a Group of one) it cannot Auto Join (or Join at all).

Another cool trick regarding Demo Walls. I usually give them 0 height, that way they show (as dashed e.g.) on the floor in 3d views, but do not block the view.

Another cool trick regarding Demo Walls. I usually give them 0 height, that way they show (as dashed e.g.) on the floor in 3d views, but do not block the view.

That's a good trick Peter, thanks for the suggestion.

One thing I have learned that even with 'Auto Join Walls' turned off (at least in Vw2015) is to not lock an existing wall and then try to draw a new wall which is coplanar with the locked wall, because it will still try to auto-join to the locked wall and very often it will crash Vw.

Grouping the demo walls as you suggest seems to be much safer.

thanks, I wound up just turning it off in preferences. too bad it is not an option in the walls dialog. seems useful to me, but maybe others display demo walls differently. different layer ?

Just tried with using two layers.

If you draw the wall you don't want to join on a different layer with layer set to show/snap (but not modify) then the walls don't auto-join. (This is what I would expect anyway).

When copying from the other layer to the same layer as the walls you don't want to join, the new wall stays disconnected.