Resource browser object types multi(de)select flyouts

Art V

Question

The flyout for object types in the resource browser collapses after every select/deselect of an object type.

Could it remain open to allow for multiple select/deselect so that we don't have to go through the entire flyout everytime we want to toggle multiple object types?

8 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Speaking of the Resource Browser I'd like to be able to quick-preiew resources as is possible on MacOS using the spacebar.
Engineering is currently taking notes on desired improvements for the resource browser as part of their annual innovation period, its time for some serious upgrades. Adding that to the suggestion list.

+1 to the original post and bcd's suggestion of QuickView in the RB (not sure how that will translate for Windows users).

As long as engineering is taking notes, I'll reiterate my wishlist request for a 'live' Search Field in the Resource Browser (among other places):

Search Fields to Narrow Items in Long Lists in Dialog Boxes

'Live Search' meaning that as soon as you start typing the list starts to narrow down to your search, and you don't have to press Enter.

In the Resource Browser, for example, searching for "metal" would show all RW textures, hatches, images, image fills, wall types, symbols, etc. that contain the word "metal" somewhere in their name.

Good ideas !

I'll add that I want to edit names of all kind of objects by double-slow-click

the Icon Name like in an OS.

Preview is needed, also a real tree like in explorer (like in C4D ?)

And it is a problem in Material settings too, to recognize a image texture

or its quality by a thumbnail.

+1 for the additional requests from Tim and Zoomer.

As I am on Windows I'm not sure what the quick preview that bcd mentioned is about on a Mac, unless it is an enlarged view of the symbol when you hover over it in addition to the icon. Then yes that would be useful too as sometimes icons can look quite similar if the symbols are variations of each other.

Not sure if it belongs to the resource browser or to dwg import functionality so I'll mention it here first.

When importing dwg files sometimes symbols duplicate and you get e.g. valve, valve-2, valve-3 etc. even though they are actually the same symbol "valve".

It would be nice if instead of having to use the replace symbol for each instance there could be some functionality where you could use the resource browser to select the duplicates and "merge" multiple instances of the same symbol into a single symbol (e.g. "valve" in the example above) and it will automatically replace the duplicates with the "master symbol".

It could even be used to replace an incorrect variant of a symbol with the correct one instead of just identical variants of a symbol.

In addition to that it would be nice that when importing drawings (dwg or otherwise) it would be possible to put their resources in folders per imported file instead of all resources being lumped together. For DWG files it could optionally use the dwg prefix set during import of dwg files (I tend to create a different prefix for each imported dwg file, e.g. dwg1, dwg2 or something to that extend).

In that case the abovementioned merge functionality should be able to work across symbol folders and replace the instances in each "import" folder with the new master symbol (e.g. create a virtual copy or placeholder in the other folders).

Edited by Art V