Version 2016

taoist

I am still using version 2013.

Have they given us the ability to do vertical stacking of wall components when creating/defining walls?

Ex: Stone or brick on lower portion of wall and stucco or siding on upper portion of wall.

Is there a real comprehensive list of the changes/updates other than what they show for online?

I have downloaded the 2016 Demo,

Have not installed yet.

Anyone have any answers on this?

Thanks,

Edited by taoist
I am still using version 2013.

Have they given us the ability to do vertical stacking of wall components when creating/defining walls?

Ex: Stone or brick on lower portion of wall and stucco or siding on upper portion of wall.

Is there a real comprehensive list of the changes/updates other than what they show for online?

Question 1: No, see recently updated, 12-year-old thread Vertically compound walls

Question 2: The Vw2016 online help has a list of all the new features & changes in Vw2016.

But since you're coming from Vw2013, also take a look at the new features in Vw2015 online help : New Features

HTH.

Tank you for the reply.

Well, I guess so much for BIM !!!

How do they expect us to design using BIM principles when we are not given the tools.

I have no experience with reporting matrials in Vectorworks.

I do not know if planes and solids will report what I need.

My guess is no.

This is really a very weak area that should have been addressed some time ago.

Guess the powers that be decide otherwise.

Oh how I wish I had time to spend time with the powers that be and show them other products (CAD Software) that already oes this, and has for years.

I guess they figure walls are only horizontal components.

Thanks,

taoist

Edited by taoist

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that vertically stacked wall components need to be implemented, but I think you might be overstating the case just a bit.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'planes and solids', but currently the best work-around involves stacking two wall assemblies on top of each other. It's not ideal, but it's what we have to work with.

Here's the most recent thread where this subject was discussed with input from Vectorworks' Wes Gardner:

two wall types, same wall

I do not know if planes and solids will report what I need.

My guess is no.

Normally not.

Other than parametric Architectural Objects that already contain all sorts of

Information, Solids are quite neutral and just Geometry.

You can add IFC Information later manually.

Like assign a IFC Roof/Wall/Slab/... Tag to your Extrude, and it will be handled

like a Roof/Wall/Slab ... for the IFC BIM model.

I think you can write nearly all sort of Information into an Objects Data Field in OIP,

as long as you know the conventions.

But no knowledge of Reports from my side.

OK. Great to know.

How does one handle openings that span beteen 2 stories or levels?

Have that wall section as 1 wall and set top of wall to be at same height?

EX: 2 story home. 2 Story foyer.

That is to say, when enter home, Foyer is 2 stories (1st and 2nd level) tall.

Make sense?

@taoist: The second thread I linked had the following quote and movie link from Pat Stanford on how to make a window opening that spans two floors:

Originally Posted By: Pat Stanford

Doors/windows/symbols can only be in one wall at a time. If you need multiple walls (stacked vertically) with objects that extend across them, the easiest way is to use the 3D Selection tool in an elevation view to put in "Wall Peaks", that will let you reshape the wall around objects extending from a different wall.

See my movie "Notch Walls Around Windows" at http://vectortasks.com/Movies/Movies.html for more information.

Pat