PNG export with alpha channel for transparency

I often have to use Vectorworks renderings for photo manipulation.

Every time I have to use valuable time and effort to isolate the objects, that I need, from the white background.

I can export PNG's of textures with perfectly good alpha channels. So why can I not do the same with my renderings?

I wish, there was an option to get transparent backgrounds in exported PNG's - and that it was sophisticated enough to get semitransparent alpha-transparency from semitransparent objects.

I am pretty sure, that users of Panzercads Cameramatch would be very pleased with this feature as well.

Edited by Kaare Baekgaard
  • 2 years later...

PNGs create transparency in one of two ways. One of these methods employs the same approach used by GIFs, with a single color defined as transparent, and the other is to set an alpha channel . One of the advantages of PNG single-color transparency is that it doesn't remove a color from the available palette. However, the alpha channel is a much smoother method, as it is far better at blending colors, and allows you to select different levels of transparency in specific regions. The transparent areas of the PNG will blend and adjust naturally to whatever is behind the image when the background of the page isn't a solid white or black color.